protocols

hello,
can you use c++ or vsual c++ to operate protocols?

Comments

• [italic]: hello,
    : can you use c++ or vsual c++ to operate protocols?
    : [/italic]

Yes you can! I have answered your question. Now exactly how is what I am not sure of. In standard c++ (a win32 port) you could probably include winsock.h which (i think) provides a standard interface. In VC++ you could use one the MFC classes CInternetSession, CInternetConnection, CFtpConnection, CGopherConnection, CHttpConnection, CFileFind, CFtpFileFind, CGopherFileFind, CGopherLocator, CAsyncSocket and CSocket. But thats all I know. I dont have a clue how to use these.

• : [italic]: hello,
    : : can you use c++ or vsual c++ to operate protocols?
    : : [/italic]
    :
    :
    : Yes you can! I have answered your question. Now exactly how is what I am not sure of. In standard c++ (a win32 port) you could probably include winsock.h which (i think) provides a standard interface. In VC++ you could use one the MFC classes CInternetSession, CInternetConnection, CFtpConnection, CGopherConnection, CHttpConnection, CFileFind, CFtpFileFind, CGopherFileFind, CGopherLocator, CAsyncSocket and CSocket. But thats all I know. I dont have a clue how to use these.

Assuming he's talking specifically about application-level networking protocols.... 'protocols' could mean anything.

I have a 'greeting' protocol. The API is simple - to issue a greeting, you just call the 'greet' function. If you would like your application to support the 'Friendly Application Greeting' (FAG) protocol, just include the following code in your application:

[code]void greet()
    {
    puts("Hello");
    }[/code] Consider this code, and the corresponding API documentation (above), as being distributed under the GPL license. ;)

Cheers,
    Eric

• : : [italic]: hello,
    : : : can you use c++ or vsual c++ to operate protocols?
    : : : [/italic]
    : :
    : :
    : : Yes you can! I have answered your question. Now exactly how is what I am not sure of. In standard c++ (a win32 port) you could probably include winsock.h which (i think) provides a standard interface. In VC++ you could use one the MFC classes CInternetSession, CInternetConnection, CFtpConnection, CGopherConnection, CHttpConnection, CFileFind, CFtpFileFind, CGopherFileFind, CGopherLocator, CAsyncSocket and CSocket. But thats all I know. I dont have a clue how to use these.
    :
    : Assuming he's talking specifically about application-level networking protocols.... 'protocols' could mean anything.
    :
    : I have a 'greeting' protocol. The API is simple - to issue a greeting, you just call the 'greet' function. If you would like your application to support the 'Friendly Application Greeting' (FAG) protocol, just include the following code in your application:
    :
    : [code]void greet()
    : {
    : puts("Hello");
    : }[/code] Consider this code, and the corresponding API documentation (above), as being distributed under the GPL license. ;)
    :
    : Cheers,
    : Eric
    :

Man, that protocol is cool. But everybody looks me wierd when I answer to my pc's 'Friendly Application Greeting' (FAG) protocol.

Why is that nowadays everybody is asking 'can I use this programming language to do this or should I use this' etc. You can use C++ to do anything a computer can do. You can also use C, Java, Delphi, VB... Idea is that you use language that you know best. If you know many languages then you can choose which is easiest to use in that problems. And if after this there's more than one languages left use which comes first in mind.

But now I'm seeing all the boards full of questions 'should I use C++ or C' and it's getting pretty annoying.

Ok. Now i've let some steam off.