How long before i can make a game??

Hi,
How long would it take me to learn how to program games in C++

a.) a simple 2d game.
b.) a complex 2d game, with scrolling etc.
c.) a 3d game.

i would be grateful if you could tell me how long it took you to program games like this, and what area's would be useful to learn if i wanted to make them.

many thanx
code_labourer

Comments

• : Hi,
    : How long would it take me to learn how to program games in C++
    :
    : a.) a simple 2d game.
    : b.) a complex 2d game, with scrolling etc.
    : c.) a 3d game.
    :
    : i would be grateful if you could tell me how long it took you to program games like this, and what area's would be useful to learn if i wanted to make them.
    :
    : many thanx
    : code_labourer
    :
    a.) maybe a couple of weeks
    b.) maybe a couple of months
    c.) maybe a couple of years

• : : Hi,
    : : How long would it take me to learn how to program games in C++
    : :
    : : a.) a simple 2d game.
    : : b.) a complex 2d game, with scrolling etc.
    : : c.) a 3d game.
    : : i would be grateful if you could tell me how long it took you to program games like this, and what area's would be useful to learn if i wanted to make them.
    : : many thanx
    : : code_labourer
    : a.) maybe a couple of weeks
    : b.) maybe a couple of months
    : c.) maybe a couple of years

I'm impressed! After a couple of weeks of programming, I was still doing "Hello, World" type stuff. I think I wrote a pig-latin translater my second week, and was really proud. If I had written a 2D game my second week, I would have been doing backflips!

Cheers,
    Eric

:
    :
    : i would be grateful if you could tell me how long it took you to program games like this, and what area's would be useful to learn if i wanted to make them.

Check this out:

http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/path_to_dev.html

Cheers,
    Eric

:
    :
    :
    : many thanx
    : code_labourer

Ive been programming in C++ for about 3-4 days now and I have allready started making a text based role-playing game. I know it doesnt seem that complacated but I have found it quite challenging and an excellent oppertunity to incorperate new methods and techniques Im learnig all the time into my programs. I hope to move onto bigger things like a 2D game but I would stongly recommend you do a similar thing to me and not attempt to rush into making a massive game that would normally have a whole team of people working on it.

Mike
    //Rectumium

• Obviously, I was not talking about the time when I started my programming fresh out of university in 1984. I was talking about TETRIS game I wrote in two weeks much later, when I knew the DOS graphics and such... Of course, scrolling 2D will take much more then that...

When I was starting - sometimes embarassed myself - when fixing bugs, my boss gave me to fix - I was modifying source code and thought it will be fixed without COMPILING(!!!) for god's sake...

...yeah!.. these were the days...

Well, happy programming, guys
    Cheers! Back to work...

• Well, heh heh :)
    What can you call a game ? When I started programming with my brand new Commodore 64 in 1990, I made a lot of 'move-the-sprite-around-the-screen-and-collect-stuff' style games :) Anyway it took long time before I learned to do the game logic and stuff properly.. err.. Hello world !

• : Obviously, I was not talking about the time when I started my programming fresh out of university in 1984. I was talking about TETRIS game I wrote in two weeks much later, when I knew the DOS graphics and such... Of course, scrolling 2D will take much more then that...
    :
    : When I was starting - sometimes embarassed myself - when fixing bugs, my boss gave me to fix - I was modifying source code and thought it will be fixed without COMPILING(!!!) for god's sake...
    :
    : ...yeah!.. these were the days...
    :
    : Well, happy programming, guys
    : Cheers! Back to work...
    :
    : thanks a lot for the advice, i was wondering if anyone had any games they've made that i could download, also does anyone know where i can get the Direct X 8 SDK on cd. I don't want to download 120 mbs of it from microsoft.

cheers Code_Labourer