Anyone wanna join a QBasic project???

2»

Comments

• : Hey,
    :
    : I like your idea maybe i can help you. I have knowlegde of Qbasic and Assembly.
    : Mail me.
    :
    : Greetings, Marcel
    :
    : [email protected]
    :

me too.

• More on this:

The .com extension came from CP/M, which is what DOS was originally planned to be compatible with. Since CP/M was 8-bit, it couldn't use more than one segment, as .exe later used.

At the time DOS was written, CP/M was the clear O/S leader. But they were slow to come out with an 8086 16-bit version. (Eventually they did deliver their product, named CP/M-86.)That's why Tim Patterson, original DOS author, wrote it.

The "transient portion of COMMAND.COM" is also similar to CP/M's process of using a "TPA" (Transient Program Area).

The DOS .com files are also limited to a particular maximum size. It's been so long, that I can't recall what that was, but it must have been around 64K. (Alan?)

It's interesting that if you look at a lot of the early DOS structure, it was very much like CP/M. Also interesting how things turned out - Microsoft became what it is by marketing DOS, and Digital Research (CP/M creators) fizzled out.

Melissa.

• This whole thread started with Dodgy Del Boy wanting to do an O/S in QBASIC.

Well, it might interest you to know that there was a Microsoft product called "Stand-alone Disk BASIC". It was a BASIC interpreter with a "built-in" operating system. That is, your computer would actually "boot" BASIC upon startup.

It had all the file i/o stuff we've all come to love and hate, i.e. sequential files and random files.

Of course, this was in the 8-bit days, although I seem to recall that Microsoft had a very short-lived version that ran on 8086 just before the IBM PC came out.

"Memory Lane" Melissa

• : This whole thread started with Dodgy Del Boy wanting to do an O/S in QBASIC.
    :
    : Well, it might interest you to know that there was a Microsoft product called "Stand-alone Disk BASIC". It was a BASIC interpreter with a "built-in" operating system. That is, your computer would actually "boot" BASIC upon startup.
    :
    : It had all the file i/o stuff we've all come to love and hate, i.e. sequential files and random files.
    :
    : Of course, this was in the 8-bit days, although I seem to recall that Microsoft had a very short-lived version that ran on 8086 just before the IBM PC came out.
    :
    : "Memory Lane" Melissa
    :
    :

To the previous post: yes, 64k was a limit. Thanks Melissa for pointing out the history with CPM. I'd forgotten (almost) all about that OS... this means you've got to be at least as old and grey as I am (lol). Does PIP bring back any memories?!?

The 64k limitations have to do with memory segmentation, and addressability. Also, being that the COM file interfaces directly with DOS via the PSP (acting like an extension of DOS), all address references are NEAR.

The basic standalone you speak of, also exists in ROM. Many of the first PC's had these ROM's (usually 2 of them), where if DOS wasn't present as the OS during boot - basic would then come up. I've still got a bunch of these ROM's laying around (somewhere).

Hey!... do you remember the "Altair"?... writing code to fit and execute in only 8k of memory?

• :... this means you've got to be at least as old and grey as I am (lol). Does PIP bring back any memories?!?
    :
    Grey, no! PIP YES!! I had forgotten about it 'till I saw your post.

: The basic standalone you speak of, also exists in ROM. Many of the first PC's had these ROM's (usually 2 of them), where if DOS wasn't present as the OS during boot - basic would then come up. I've still got a bunch of these ROM's laying around (somewhere).
    :
    Yes. I just found a box of these ROMs yesterday while I was cleaning out the cellar. However, the "Standalone Disk BASIC" was a little different. It was used on computers that had only a boot ROM, but no O/S, and no language. I found some old documentation (including BASIC ROM disassembled!?), so maybe I have something on which computers "Standalone" was used on.

: Hey!... do you remember the "Altair"?... writing code to fit and execute in only 8k of memory?
    :
    I remember hearing of, and seeing, an Altair, but I never actually used nor programmed one. I came in to microcomputers just a bit after that.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I did programming on mainframes (IBM 360 was the first), but I didn't get into micros until the TRS-80 Model I.

I was able to borrow someone's computer for a weekend, and "learned" BASIC in those two days. Later I got a TRS-80 of my own (4K RAM, 4K ROM), and really started in on it.

Believe it or not, I did find my first commercial program yesterday, printed on "electrostatic" paper from the TRS-80 "Screen Printer". That was a bizzare unit that had a spinning drum, and actually "burned" the characters on by sending current through the metalized paper. You could only print one screen at a time, so you had to list the program, print, list, print, etc.

Wow! This old stuff is giving me a headache!

Melissa

• I'm ashamed to admit that i tried that once myself. Waaay back when i was but a youngin' programmer 2 years ago :) It was a shell called 'holes in the wall 99' - you know, as opposed to windows. It got about as far as a mock-up of windows explorer; a bunch of little icon pictures in screen 12... I'm a MUCH better programmer now. I can program well in QB, and okay in ASM.
    So, i'll be glad to program on it when i'm not working on my own projects. Just as long as you don't disappear from the face of the planet like the last group/community project i joined up with - talked to the main guy workin' on it once or twice, and haven't been able to get ahold of him since.

: Hi all, just wondering if anyone would join me in doing the impossible (okay, it has been done before), making an operating system in QBasic!!!!
    :
    : I'm requesting this because I want to make a decent program for once and learn off one of you pros.
    :
    : If you want to join, you must be patient with me, as I describe myself as an OK programmer. Of course, thats why I want someone to join! So I can become better!
    :
    : First QBasic, then C++, then the world!!! Hahahahaaaa!!!
    :
    : Sorry about that,
    : (:---Dodgy Del Boy---:)
    :

• What about Windows EXE files? I know that they have a large header of DATA, since you can edit dialog boxes and images in Windows programs directly using special programs.

• : I'm ashamed to admit that i tried that once myself. Waaay back when i was but a youngin' programmer 2 years ago :) It was a shell called 'holes in the wall 99' - you know, as opposed to windows. It got about as far as a mock-up of windows explorer; a bunch of little icon pictures in screen 12... I'm a MUCH better programmer now. I can program well in QB, and okay in ASM.
    : So, i'll be glad to program on it when i'm not working on my own projects. Just as long as you don't disappear from the face of the planet like the last group/community project i joined up with - talked to the main guy workin' on it once or twice, and haven't been able to get ahold of him since.

Do you have MSN, I wish to talk to you about the QB OS and your programming skills.

EMail Me: [email protected]

• I like your idea maybe i can help you. I have knowlegde of Qbasic, Assembly, power basic, gw basic, turbo basic ,turbo pascal, php, vb, java, bath, html and C (it's my work)

[email protected]