NT 4 Authentication Problem

I have created a database, and now wish the user who is logged on to have his/her user name automatically entered into a field which will be displayed on the form, which will be protected so they cannot change it. Also I require that when the user tries to save any item to the database he/she will be asked to enter their password (the NT4 Password stored in the SAM)if the password is correct then the item will be saved if wrong it will be rejected. Can anyone help me with this.

Comments

• : I have created a database, and now wish the user who is logged on to have his/her user name automatically entered into a field which will be displayed on the form, which will be protected so they cannot change it. Also I require that when the user tries to save any item to the database he/she will be asked to enter their password (the NT4 Password stored in the SAM)if the password is correct then the item will be saved if wrong it will be rejected. Can anyone help me with this.
    :
    :
    :
    What database are you using? If it is SQL, there is built-in security.

You can get the user name from NT using the NETAPI. What language are you programming in?

I've never heard of an outside program testing the NT password, since it is encrypted.

Maybe there's another way to accomplish what you need. Post more info, and we'll see if we can help.

Melissa

• : : I have created a database, and now wish the user who is logged on to have his/her user name automatically entered into a field which will be displayed on the form, which will be protected so they cannot change it. Also I require that when the user tries to save any item to the database he/she will be asked to enter their password (the NT4 Password stored in the SAM)if the password is correct then the item will be saved if wrong it will be rejected. Can anyone help me with this.
    : :
    : What database are you using? If it is SQL, there is built-in security.
    :
    : You can get the user name from NT using the NETAPI. What language are you programming in?
    :
    : I've never heard of an outside program testing the NT password, since it is encrypted.
    :
    : Maybe there's another way to accomplish what you need. Post more info, and we'll see if we can help.
    :
    : Melissa
    :

There is no sense in having the password accessible to programs - it would at least seriously compromise the system security. You may try to steal it, though, but i don't think that's what you want >:)