UK Distributors of Cypress Chips

Hey there, i was wondering if any of you could help me. I've been looking around and can only find Distributors of Cypress Chips in America apart from a one which doesn't supply the parts i need. Typical.

Since a lot of you have been doing this for a lot longer than me you might know something i don't. The Cypress Product Codes are

CY7C64613-128NC
CY3671

Also if you could recomend a 12MHz parallel-resonant fundamental-mode crystal, compatible with an 8051 uP

Comments

• Hi!

I hear these folks can get the CY7C64613-128NC
    http://www.addem-az.com/

Also, at Arrow Electronics you can order it online for $11.80 US.
    http://www.arrow.com

The CY3671 development kit is available from Cypress on line. Take a look at:
    http://www.cypress.com/design/store/usb.html

It's big bucks - $495.00 US Yikes! You can also order it from Arrow. Usually these eval/development kits are expensive, but not complicated. You could probably put one together yourself.

If you haven't already, contact Cypress and get their data books. Sometimes the schematics for the development kits are available :)

Hey, the CY7C64613-128NC looks interesting - 8051 with USB bus...
    I've just dug out all my 8051 stuff recently. I've got a couple of boards, assembler, BASIC, disassembler, etc.

Do you have a specific project in mind? I'd be interested to hear what it is.

Melissa

• Hey there.

Thanks but you may not have read my Title clearly.

I'm looking for UK Distributors. They're harder to find. I have a long list of USA Distributors.

Thank you for any help you can give.

I will enquire over here see if any of those companies you mentioned has a UK counterpart.

Thanks for your help.

James

• : Thanks but you may not have read my Title clearly.
    :
    I sort-of realized that you wanted a UK distributor. But the references I gave can sell on-line.

Couldn't you order from them and have them send to you?

Do you have a US contact who could order for you?

Are you really going to buy the development kit?

Melissa

• I need to spend as little as possible so less postage would be a bonus so I thouhgt it best to buy from the UK instead of paying for overseas postage.

I don't know what else to do apart from buy the Dev Board. I need it, don't I? I need to be able to test the ins and outs and have it working fast.

I've only got a few months to get this working, i don't think i have time to make a Dev Board aswell. Am i wrong? is it intrinsically simple? am i missing something? is it possible that 350 (~$500) worth of kit is producable in a short time?

I haven't seen any kind of Schematic for the Dev Board but that's the essential link if i'm going to do this.

I've never taken on such a challenge before, i'm going to need the help of you guys. I'll be posting regularly as it progresses!

Thanks for all your help

James

• : I don't know what else to do apart from buy the Dev Board. I need it, don't I? I need to be able to test the ins and outs and have it working fast.
    :
    Well, the devboard comes with a C compiler, which you may or may not want to use. In any case, there are free assemblers and C compilers out there. I bet that's a big chunk of the price, based on the compiler they are including.

: I've only got a few months to get this working, i don't think i have time to make a Dev Board aswell. Am i wrong?
    :
    The devboard is primarily to play around with, mostly with code. However, most microcontroller projects need some outside hardware that needs to be built anyway. Plus, once the project is done, you'll need to build the prototype anyway. Why not start right out doing that?

:is it intrinsically simple? am i missing something? is it possible that 350 (~$500) worth of kit is producable in a short time?
    I'm of the "nothing's simple" philosophy, but again, it depends on what you're doing. It really isn't that hard to get a microcontroller up and running, just for testing.

: I haven't seen any kind of Schematic for the Dev Board but that's the essential link if i'm going to do this.
    :
    Have you gotten as much information as possible from Cypress? Their website has some info, but usually these companies have pretty detailed data books.

Also, it may be worth the price of a phone call to call the company and speak with one of the hardware developers. I've done that with other companies, and managed to whine and beg enough to get them to FAX me the schematic of the development board. It took one phone call to find a sympathetic ear, and get him to FAX me.

: I've never taken on such a challenge before, i'm going to need the help of you guys. I'll be posting regularly as it progresses!
    :

Well, it can be fun, though deadlines tend to temper that.

: Thanks for all your help
    :

No prob. By the way, have you looked at all the 8031/51/52 sites on the web? There is so much info out there on these things. Not necessarily for Cypress chip, but on the microcontroller it's based on.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've rekindled my interest in these lately, and am starting to play around with them again.

Are you doing this project on your own? have you used 8031/51 before? Can you program in assembler or C?

Try posting as much info as possible, with as much detail on the project as you are comfortable doing.

Melissa

• Hi!

I was just poking around and found this info..

They have a list of reference designs available at:
    http://www.cypress.com/design/progprods/usb/usbrefdesign.html

Here's a 435 page (5.20MB) pdf file with details on the chip:
    http://www.cypress.com/pub/datasheets/ezusbfx_trm.pdf

Hope this stuff is useful.

Melissa

• :
    : They have a list of reference designs available at:
    : http://www.cypress.com/design/progprods/usb/usbrefdesign.html
    :

Thanks

:
    : Here's a 435 page (5.20MB) pdf file with details on the chip:
    : http://www.cypress.com/pub/datasheets/ezusbfx_trm.pdf
    :

I have already got the Tech Ref Manual and read most of it.

• [size=3][b][blue]TheProject[/blue][/b][/size]

i need 128-bit input, that's [b]a 16x8 matrix[/b]. this will read the value of every switch, fader and joystick, on the [b]Control Box[/b] apart from the video fader.

The joysticks and faders will be digitised through several(as many as needed) [b]8-bit 2-channel mutiplexed ADC's[/b] with the Mutiplex pin wired to the UBS Chip to distinguish which signal is being read (from now on i'll call it 'the uC' for microcontroller).

A [b]Smooth Digital Video Fader[/b] will be wired to the uC and calulating it's value will take up a conciderable amount of processing time unless i could utilise the IRS's by wireing the SDVF through int4 and int5 and saving the time ratios in memory.
    Confused?
    The SDVF has 5 pins +5 -5 Data1 and Data2 (and unconnected) Data1 is a pulse generated by a clock inside the fader, Data2 is a pulse with a certain delay, so (the time from D1 til D2) / (the time from D2 til D1 again) give the position of the fader. The reason it's smooth is because it's not limited to 8 or 10 bits. it's limited to the number of clock cycles the uC can fit between two pulses of D1.
    Moving on..

The uC also needs to light a selection of [b]80 LED's[/b].

Of course the uC need to get info to and from the host.
    It needs the selection of LEDs to light [b]from the host (10 Bytes)[/b], and it needs to send the state of the entire Control Box [b]to the host (32 Bytes)[/b]

That's about it.

James