DOS in Win XP????? I hope so........

Hi all,

Do any of you know if MS-DOS is included somewhere in Windows XP?

If not, can Win XP still run DOS programs???

See ya later,
(:---Dodgy Del Boy---:)

Comments

• : Hi all,
    :
    : Do any of you know if MS-DOS is included somewhere in Windows XP?
    :
    : If not, can Win XP still run DOS programs???
    :
    : See ya later,
    : (:---Dodgy Del Boy---:)
    :

I'm currently running XP beta 3, and am still able to run dos programs, there's also something called "compatibility mode"
    here's a help-section text about it:

Getting older programs to run on Windows XP
    Most programs run properly on Windows XP. The exceptions are some older games and other programs that were written specifically for an earlier version of Windows.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    OK, I'm not trying to down WinXP ro anything, but I have several friends (two of whom are programmers like myself) who use XP and even with compatibility mode, which is supposedly the old 95, 98, 98SE, or ME kernels, can NOT get some things to run. This is mainly game-related, like the classics Strife or Doom, but they have had trouble getting other applications to run. They CAN get them running, but it is a total pain in the butt and takes time and in-depth knowledge of WinXP to make them work properly and without locking or crashing. My recomendation is to keep an older machine with Windows 98 SE on it for your older programs, and put XP on that fancy new P4 you've got, lol! Hey, i have my 486SX specifically for my old DOS games that hate running in DOS 8.3! Yeah laugh at my 486, but it is still running like it's brand new, GO TANDY!@#

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• : OK, I'm not trying to down WinXP ro anything, but I have several friends (two of whom are programmers like myself) who use XP and even with compatibility mode, which is supposedly the old 95, 98, 98SE, or ME kernels, can NOT get some things to run. This is mainly game-related, like the classics Strife or Doom, but they have had trouble getting other applications to run. They CAN get them running, but it is a total pain in the butt and takes time and in-depth knowledge of WinXP to make them work properly and without locking or crashing. My recomendation is to keep an older machine with Windows 98 SE on it for your older programs, and put XP on that fancy new P4 you've got, lol! Hey, i have my 486SX specifically for my old DOS games that hate running in DOS 8.3! Yeah laugh at my 486, but it is still running like it's brand new, GO TANDY!@#
    =====================================================================
    Well we all (maybe not ALL) that microsoft hate dos... so they want to forget it... and they almost did att WinME, but, as usual they don't know there own sourece code so they can't delete dos from me, so they created Windows XP that is built on NT. so they know that no one coud ever bring the old dos back to life. But to make it seem that they suport everything (exept win95) they included a little command promt which they so nicely called Command (Cmd in other words) but this is ONLY A EMULATED command promt, and that was today's lession of microsoft's history. Now to answer your question. No dos does not exeist in XP, win2000, and nt4. I don't think that dos vill ever come to life agen, not as we remembers it. The best solutinon is what you already have come up whit, to have an older machine that run dos, 95 or 98.
    well if you have anny questions (which a bet you have) Emali me at:
    [email protected] (Temp email)
    /Zmaster