I need help on "malloc();"

I'm using Turbo C++ 3.0, and I need to set up a 64k buffer for the video. The current line I have isn't working : "unsigned char *double_buffer = (char *)malloc(64000);"

Please message me back if you know the right way to do this.

Thanks.

Comments

• : I'm using Turbo C++ 3.0, and I need to set up a 64k buffer for the video. The current line I have isn't working : "unsigned char *double_buffer = (char *)malloc(64000);"

: Please message me back if you know the right way to do this.

: Thanks.

Try this:

void double_buffer;

*double_buffer = (char *)malloc(sizeof(char[64000]);

Or something like that..

Personally I think you should swap to DJGPP and Allegro if you wish to do graphics programming.

You can download DJGPP (it's a free C/C++ compiler which is pretty much just like Turbo C++ but it's more powerful) at http://www.delorie.com/

You can get the Allegro graphics library for DJGPP at http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

It's all free and it's very good.

-Xotor-

• : I'm using Turbo C++ 3.0, and I need to set up a 64k buffer for the video. The current line I have isn't working : "unsigned char *double_buffer = (char *)malloc(64000);"

1) 'isn't working' is vague. Next time offer a compile-time error or warning for us to investigate.

2) Just for the sake of the obscure notion of compatibility, it's probably better to do:

malloc(sizeof(unsigned char)*64000)

which is guaranteed to give you enough space for the exact type of data your variable purports to point to. Yes, yes, I know malloc is supposed to return a number of bytes anyway. Humour me. Other types of mallocs are more likely to follow the format I and others suggested.

3) malloc returns a void pointer. You are casting it to a pointer-to-char. Your variable is of type pointer-to-unsigned-char. This won't work. Typecast the return of malloc to type 'pointer-to-unsigned-char' and you'll be fine.

I think it soesn;t work for this reason. You are trying to call a function during the declaration time... I am not sure if you can do that... Anyway, try this... I've done it and it works...

char *double_buffer;

double_buffer = (char *)malloc(64000);

I am not sure about this... but I've tried my version in Turbo C, and it works...

• : I think it soesn;t work for this reason. You are trying to call a function during the declaration time... I am not sure if you can do that... Anyway, try this... I've done it and it works...

It works just fine. You can initialize something to a value as you declare it. See my message below yours for why. However this has no bearing on why he's getting the error message.

: char *double_buffer;

: ....

: double_buffer = (char *)malloc(64000);

This is not the same as his statement, and so therefore works just fine. His problem was mismatched pointers. I don't advocate pointer casts either except where necessary (like your statement above, which of course is absolutely necessary).

I still don't like the use of the magic number 64000, nor its direct use in malloc. A char and a byte are not always guaranteed to be the same size. (Though, I guess, in all fairness, the number of machines that it is not true on is pretty limited).

Well, if malloc fails to allocation 64000 bytes

and if you are using TC++, you can try something like,..

char far *double_buffer;

double_buffer = farmalloc ( (unsigned long) 64000 );

if (!double_buffer)

exit(1);

well, it worked for me, but this wont work if you run it under the IDE, just quit TC and run your .exe, it should work

• try

double_buffer = (char far*) farmalloc (unsigned long) 64000 );

you probably will need the cast or TCC will probably give you a incompatible pointer type warning

• The problem was that it was crashing my computer when I ran it with in TCC ide. It works fine out of the IDE though

Thanks again