Stupid proprietary classes!

Argh! I'm in public high school and I'm taking AP Computer Science. "The AP people" have provided numerous classes, such as apstring, apvector (instead of arrays), and ap random numbers. Our book hardly mentions any way but the AP way, which is why I am glad I have purchased my own ANSI C++ book. Aren't programming classes supposed to teach you how to program in C++, not AP++? Are the AP people trying to change the C++ standard?

Comments

• : Argh! I'm in public high school and I'm taking AP Computer Science. "The AP people" have provided numerous classes, such as apstring, apvector (instead of arrays), and ap random numbers. Our book hardly mentions any way but the AP way, which is why I am glad I have purchased my own ANSI C++ book. Aren't programming classes supposed to teach you how to program in C++, not AP++? Are the AP people trying to change the C++ standard?

No, the AP people are just out of date. Remember, public schools are a function of the government, i.e. bureaucratic and slow to change. If you teacher is open to input from his (or her) students, you might ask if you can do your assignments using only standard C++, which has it's own 'string' and 'vector' classes.

Cheers,
    Eric

• : No, the AP people are just out of date. Remember, public schools are a function of the government, i.e. bureaucratic and slow to change. If you teacher is open to input from his (or her) students, you might ask if you can do your assignments using only standard C++, which has it's own 'string' and 'vector' classes.
    :
    : Cheers,
    : Eric
    :

I might be able to do that. However, I have the AP exam to worry about, and these proprietary classes are all over that test like a disease.
    Here in North Carolina, Programming 1 was Pascal for the longest time until my teacher pushed a proposal through the state education people to change it over to Visual Basic.

• : I might be able to do that. However, I have the AP exam to worry about, and these proprietary classes are all over that test like a disease.

That's tragic - what a waste of brain cells. How many AP classes are there?

: Here in North Carolina, Programming 1 was Pascal for the longest time until my teacher pushed a proposal through the state education people to change it over to Visual Basic.

Jeeez... that's not a step forward!

Cheers,
    Eric

• : I might be able to do that. However, I have the AP exam to worry about, and these proprietary classes are all over that test like a disease.
    : Here in North Carolina, Programming 1 was Pascal for the longest time until my teacher pushed a proposal through the state education people to change it over to Visual Basic.
    :

Oh my god, I thought that only happened here at Mexico....
    :-(

I know how are you feeling dude..

Later!

• :
    : : Here in North Carolina, Programming 1 was Pascal for the longest time until my teacher pushed a proposal through the state education people to change it over to Visual Basic.
    :
    : Jeeez... that's not a step forward!
    :
    : Cheers,
    : Eric
    :
    It may not be a step forward, but it's at least a step sideways. Visual Basic is more up-to-date than Pascal, and evidently the school system has to keep its courses somewhat up to date...
    *<|,'-{
    ( ^ disfigured clown)

• : It may not be a step forward, but it's at least a step sideways. Visual Basic is more up-to-date than Pascal, and evidently the school system has to keep its courses somewhat up to date...

Pascal has been around since 1968 (one year before C!) and has had an international standard (ISO - 1982) for nearly two decades. VB changes with every version. There are hundreds of Pascal compilers; it can be used to program anything with a CPU. Visual Basic is not even really a language, it's a proprietary [italic]application[/italic] made by one company, for one operating system, period.

So, IMO, that change is a big step back, much worse than a few proprietary AP classes.

Cheers,
    Eric