Ada Game Programming

Most of my Programming Experience is in Ada. I have been messing around with the idea of programming a game in Ada and wanted to know if anyone else out there has tried this. I've found a few links and some information about ada, but there isn't much documentation for writting Games in Ada. Also, I'm on a very limited budget and that is why I choose this language because I already have a compiler for it and do not want to purchase anything new. So, if anyone has any information or suggestions to help out a newbie to the Game Programming world I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Phalanger

Comments

• : Most of my Programming Experience is in Ada. I have been messing around with the idea of programming a game in Ada and wanted to know if anyone else out there has tried this. I've found a few links and some information about ada, but there isn't much documentation for writting Games in Ada. Also, I'm on a very limited budget and that is why I choose this language because I already have a compiler for it and do not want to purchase anything new. So, if anyone has any information or suggestions to help out a newbie to the Game Programming world I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    :
    : Phalanger
    :
    Hey Phalanger,
    I don't know anything about Ada, but I [b]do[/b] know about writing games on a tight budget. Personally, I'd recommend java--you can download everything you need [b]for free[/b].
    [code]
    If you want to try this out, you'll need to head to
    [color=00ff00]www.java.sun.com[/color]
    [/code]
    and download the J2S SDK version 1.3, Standard Edition (J2SE).
    [code]
    After you install that, you should check out
    [color=00ff00]www.bluej.org[/color]
    [/code]
    and download their [b]free[/b] IDE. It's got a lot of excellent features and is designed to help people learn the language.

Good luck,

Kreitler

• Hey Phalanger,
    I've been meaning to put together some on-line tutorials for people who want to learn game programming without spending money. The articles would start with the installation procedure described in the previous post, then move on into writing various different kinds of games in java.
    If you'd be interested in that sort of thing, let me know via email ([email protected]) or post. If enough people express interest, I'll start putting articles up on my website.
    Cheers,

Kreitler

• : Hey Phalanger,
    : I've been meaning to put together some on-line tutorials for people who want to learn game programming without spending money. The articles would start with the installation procedure described in the previous post, then move on into writing various different kinds of games in java.
    : If you'd be interested in that sort of thing, let me know via email ([email protected]) or post. If enough people express interest, I'll start putting articles up on my website.
    : Cheers,
    :
    : Kreitler
    :
    :
    :

Yeah I'd be interested. I know a little Java so I might try the Java route.
  • : Yeah I'd be interested. I know a little Java so I might try the Java route.
    :

Hey Phalanger,
    OK--I have this Friday off, so I'll try to write something up and get it on my website for Saturday. This first tutorial will be pretty simple. It will cover setting up your (free) development environment and getting some simple apps running in Java.
    Feel free to tell me what kinds of games you're interested in. We're going to start out very small, but eventually I'd like to get into serious stuff (like a Zelda-esque RPG or a ray-casting shooter). If you have particular direction you'd like to go, please tell me.
    By the way, I found an incredible *free* Java IDE this week. Head to www.netbeans.com and check it out. We'll still be using BlueJ to start with, because it's a simpler tool. At some point we'll probably switch to NetBeans, though--it's a fantastic piece of software, *and* it's open source.
    Cheers,

Kreitler

• Oops--the site for NetBeans is

www.netBeans.org,

[b]not[/b] www.netbeans.com, as I stated previously.

MK

• Hey Phalanger,
    I got the tutorial website up last Saturday (don't know if you saw my new post about it). If you're still interested in learning game programming for free, check it out:

http://24.21.112.219:8000/FGJ/index.htm

Let me know if you have suggestions or problems with it.
    Thanks,

Kreitler