Creating DOS

I really want to create my own MS-DOS, I know I have the programming knowledge I just don't know where to start, so I'm asking for any resources anyone has. Possibly even create a new fileing system just for fun.

Comments

• : I really want to create my own MS-DOS, I know I have the programming knowledge I just don't know where to start, so I'm asking for any resources anyone has. Possibly even create a new fileing system just for fun.
    :

Hi!

Quite a project you're planning!

If you want it to be compatible with MS-DOS, you'll need to start out by finding out how the boot process works. Reading the MBR, boot record, partition table, etc. will all have to be done.

I wrote a description of the DOS boot process, and posted it in the BASIC forum here at Programmer's Heaven. Take a look at it. It's something to start with.

This is not an impossible job, but it is a big one. Some years ago, I disassembled a floppy disk format program (manually), commented it, made some modifications to it, and re-assembled it. It actually worked!

That was a good lesson in DOS internals, since I had to learn about writing the boot sectors, and creating the directory.

Have fun with your project! Post back, and let us know how it's going.

Melissa

• Isn't it hard to create your own MS-DOS? Dosn't that have to be made by MicroSoft (MS)??? Jus wondering...

Cheers;)
  • Hi!

: Isn't it hard to create your own MS-DOS?

Well, legally you cannot "create" MS-DOS, since it already exists. But you can create an OS which is fully compatible with MS-DOS.

Dosn't that have to be made by MicroSoft (MS)??? Jus wondering...

Again, MS-DOS is a Microsoft product. But others have created compatible DOS systems. PC-DOS, which was originally by Microsoft, eventually was taken over by IBM, and developed separately.

And Digital Research had their version, called DR-DOS, which was MS-DOS compatible. So, it can be done. You just can't call it "MS-DOS"!

Melissa

• hey send me a text on how to read c++ programing language .. send to netstatbotex@hotmail.com

• : hey send me a text on how to read c++ programing language .. send to netstatbotex@hotmail.com
    :
    :
    :
    Just open the *.cpp file with notepad. Wow! That was easy!

Just kidding. Seriously there are plenty of good online tutorials out there. There are probably several you can get from programmers heaven.

• : : I really want to create my own MS-DOS, I know I have the programming knowledge I just don't know where to start, so I'm asking for any resources anyone has. Possibly even create a new fileing system just for fun.
    : :
    :
    : Hi!
    :
    : Quite a project you're planning!
    :
    : If you want it to be compatible with MS-DOS, you'll need to start out by finding out how the boot process works. Reading the MBR, boot record, partition table, etc. will all have to be done.
    :
    : I wrote a description of the DOS boot process, and posted it in the BASIC forum here at Programmer's Heaven. Take a look at it. It's something to start with.
    :
    : This is not an impossible job, but it is a big one. Some years ago, I disassembled a floppy disk format program (manually), commented it, made some modifications to it, and re-assembled it. It actually worked!
    :
    : That was a good lesson in DOS internals, since I had to learn about writing the boot sectors, and creating the directory.
    :
    : Have fun with your project! Post back, and let us know how it's going.
    :
    : Melissa
    :
    :
    :
    Do you still have the code for the floopy disk format program?
    If so, I would really like to see it.

thanks,
    Jimmy
  • : Do you still have the code for the floopy disk format program?
    : If so, I would really like to see it.
    :
    : thanks,
    : Jimmy
    :

Hi Jimmy:

Since I almost never throw anything out, it's probably around here somewhere :)

But it was done around 1980, before PCs, and in Z80 assembly language. Since it used some system calls, and talked directly to the floppy disk controller chip, it probably wouldn't be readable, even if you know Z80 assembler. Though I did comment every line :)

I make no promises, but if for some reason I stumble onto it, I can send along a copy. I wouldn't sit by the e-mail, though, if I were you...

:)

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• : : Do you still have the code for the floopy disk format program?
    : : If so, I would really like to see it.
    : : thanks,
    : : Jimmy
    :
    : Hi Jimmy:
    :
    : Since I almost never throw anything out, it's probably around here somewhere :)
    :
    : But it was done around 1980, before PCs, and in Z80 assembly language. Since it used some system calls, and talked directly to the floppy disk controller chip, it probably wouldn't be readable, even if you know Z80 assembler. Though I did comment every line :)
    :
    : I make no promises, but if for some reason I stumble onto it, I can send along a copy. I wouldn't sit by the e-mail, though, if I were you...
    :
    : :)
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [purple]Melissa[/purple]
    :
    :

Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for responding. If you run across it fine. If you don't, that's fine too. I don't know the Z80, but I do have the specs. I'm working mainly on the x86 and starting to play with the 8051, but mainly I just like to see how things work.

thanks again,
    Jimmy
  • : I really want to create my own MS-DOS, I know I have the programming knowledge I just don't know where to start, so I'm asking for any resources anyone has. Possibly even create a new fileing system just for fun.
    :
    :
    Search the web for FreeDOS. Also try to find a copy of [italic]Dissecting DOS[/italic] by Michael Podanoffsky, published by Addison-Wesley. Much of your work has already been done for you.

• : Hi Melissa,
    : Thanks for responding. If you run across it fine. If you don't, that's fine too. I don't know the Z80, but I do have the specs. I'm working mainly on the x86 and starting to play with the 8051, but mainly I just like to see how things work.
    :
    : thanks again,
    : Jimmy
    :

Hi Jimmy!

Thanks to Jeffpost, here's a link to an 8086 floppy format program:

http://www.freedos.org/freedos/software/lsm2html.cgi?file=base/format.lsm

BTW, I'm just getting back into 8051 programming, after taking a few years off. What are you working on? I have tons of links and software, etc. How about you?

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• :
    : BTW, I'm just getting back into 8051 programming, after taking a few years off. What are you working on? I have tons of links and software, etc. How about you?
    :
    :
    We seem to have some common interests. I'm getting ready to release version 3.0 of my 8051 disassembler (Z80 and 8048 disassemblers included). Wanna beta test it for me? Written in ANSI C, GNU GPL, works in DOS and Linux.

Jeff

• : :
    : : BTW, I'm just getting back into 8051 programming, after taking a few years off. What are you working on? I have tons of links and software, etc. How about you?
    : We seem to have some common interests. I'm getting ready to release version 3.0 of my 8051 disassembler (Z80 and 8048 disassemblers included). Wanna beta test it for me? Written in ANSI C, GNU GPL, works in DOS and Linux.
    :
    : Jeff
    :
    :
    Sure! That'd be fun to play around with. I have one now, so I can compare yours with it. The one I have is for DOS.

You can e-mail to me in my profile.

Thanks!

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• :
    : Sure! That'd be fun to play around with. I have one now, so I can compare yours with it. The one I have is for DOS.
    :
    : You can e-mail to me in my profile.
    :
    Did you get my email? You can email me directly from the address in my profile.

Jeff

• : : Hi Melissa,
    : : Thanks for responding. If you run across it fine. If you don't, that's fine too. I don't know the Z80, but I do have the specs. I'm working mainly on the x86 and starting to play with the 8051, but mainly I just like to see how things work.
    : : thanks again,
    : : Jimmy
    :
    :
    : Hi Jimmy!
    :
    : Thanks to Jeffpost, here's a link to an 8086 floppy format program:
    :
    : http://www.freedos.org/freedos/software/lsm2html.cgi?file=base/format.lsm
    :
    : BTW, I'm just getting back into 8051 programming, after taking a few years off. What are you working on? I have tons of links and software, etc. How about you?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [purple]Melissa[/purple]
    :
    :

Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for the link from Jeffpost. What I'm working on is a communication device. It's something like a web cam, yet it is not. The reason why it is not, is because it won't go over the internet. It will be voice and video directly over the phone line. I know that there are already devices like this, but they usually have large monitors and are expensive. I'm looking for a way to transmit an image from one palm-like device to an other in real time. I have tons of software as well, if you need something. What are you working on?

• : Hi Melissa,
    : Thanks for the link from Jeffpost. What I'm working on is a communication device. It's something like a web cam, yet it is not. The reason why it is not, is because it won't go over the internet. It will be voice and video directly over the phone line. I know that there are already devices like this, but they usually have large monitors and are expensive. I'm looking for a way to transmit an image from one palm-like device to an other in real time. I have tons of software as well, if you need something. What are you working on?
    :
    :

Hi again!

I'm not actually working on anything in particular with the 8051 right now, just trying to get back into it.

I would like to do an energy monitor for my home, which would read the temperature at five locations, and monitor the amount of time the furnace is running, how much fuel is burned, and which of the five thermostats was calling for heat at the time. I'd also like to monitor the furnace temp.

I'm interested in whether it's more efficient to have more heating zones, or less. Also, whether the furnace is properly sized, since it runs only for a few minutes, then cycles off. Everything I've read says that's not good.

some years ago, I wrote a program to do heat loss calculations to figure the amount of heat loss in a building. That's used for calculating heating and cooling capacities, as well as insulation.

Or maybe I'll just make the 8051 blink some LEDs :)

[purple]Melissa[/purple]