Help, I am a newbie!

Hi,
I am a C programmer. I am very much interested in Game Programming. Could you please suggest me some site which has a good tutorial on "Game Programming in C". I tried downloading some tutorial but they are too complicated for me. Is there any site which has tutorials for beginners????. Thanx in advance.

Comments

• : Hi,
    : I am a C programmer. I am very much interested in Game Programming. Could you please suggest me some site which has a good tutorial on "Game Programming in C". I tried downloading some tutorial but they are too complicated for me. Is there any site which has tutorials for beginners????. Thanx in advance.
    :

Hey Rites,
    Check out
    [code]
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/articles/userarticles/mark/fgj/tutorials.htm
    [/code]

The bad news: it's a tutorial for people who want to write games in Java.

The [b]good[/b] news: If you know 'C', you'll have a good starting point for Java. Also, this article stresses finding high-quality development tools for free, so you won't have to shell out any cash to get started. Finally, it's the first in a series of articles for complete beginners, to get them started writing games.

Kreitler

• You could buy "Tricks of the Windows Game Programmingg Gurus" by Andre LaMothe. Why look at a tutorial of Java if there are lots of books/tuts for C/C++? You could also look here http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=33 for an online tutorial. The forum isn't updated with new tutorials but it's a start. It will learn you to make a tetris game, and when you know a thing like that you can easily create all sorts of other games!

Good Luck,
    Sand Hawk
    Member of the Stupid Coders
    http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net

- Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

• : Why look at a tutorial of Java if there are lots of books/tuts for C/C++?

Hey Sandhawk,
    Good advice--good book recommendation, too. One point, though: Java is a good choice for beginners on several counts:
    1) You can get it for free--and it's the same version as the "pros" use.
    2) You can get free development environments for it. NetBeans (www.netbeans.org) is the most powerful IDE I've ever used--and I've use Visual Studio (VC++) and CodeWarrior on the job.
    3) Java is a great language with which to start, because it insulates you from much system-specific nastiness (e.g., DirectX) and lets you concentrate on learning how to write games.
    4) Java is becoming an accepted part of professional game development. For instance, one writes to Wild Tangent's game driver (www.wildtangent.com) via Java.

All that said, your implied point (that C and C++ continue to be the hardcore game languages of choice) is correct. As always, the issure really comes down to "what do you need?" If riteshtonk wants to jump in hard and fast and has the money to get a good C/C++ compiler, that's probably the way to go. Otherwise, Java is a fantastic choice with which to learn game programming.

Cheers,

Kreitler

• Hi again,
    I thank both of you for replying. The reason why I choose C for games programming is that I am quite comfortable with the language. You may be right about the Java part, but I would like to begin in C and later move on to Java. Anyway, Since I just want to know the basic stuff, the language doesn't matter much, does it?
    I have done quite some programming using BGI graphics. ( you can download my Paint application designed in C++ from www.geocities.com/riteshtonk/index.htm ). But I am completely blank about 13 mode graphic stuff. Please do not refer to me some graphic libraries. I want to start from a scratch. A good beginners tutorial would be fine. Thanx. Bi.