OpenGL's future

DirectX raises some questions about the future of

openGL. While openGL is the proven well respected

platform, it doesn't (to my knowledge) have a

corresponding sound platform like directX does..

Which makes me wonder, to all the openGL programmers

in the neighborhood, what do you use for sound?

Wheres openSL? Does OpenGL have much of a future if

has no sound component? Im not a fan of corporate

controlled platforms, but MS has a hard time failing

even with bad products...

Im curious to hear people's opinions

-jim

Comments

• Dear Jim...

I don't like, to tell the truth, to use other people library... I like to make my own graphic library and my sound library, as well my engines. The only thing I usually use from other programmers is a DOS Extender.

I've experienced OpenGL a few times, and I liked it. I only don't use it because I like to make my own stuff. If you use OpenGL for graphics, surely you will not have a sound engine ready for you. You must make one, or use one ready in the net.

This can bring a few troubles, because you must make the two compatible with each other. The sound cannot stop the graphics, and it must not stop the music. That's why I prefer making my own stuff. It gives you much more versatility, it's royalty free and less bugs.

I hope this helps...

LordAsm

• That's why you create your own wrapper for OpenGL. I treat OpenGL only as a way to interface the hardware for me. Just write your own functions to use OpenGL with your sound system, etc.

-Xotor-

: I don't like, to tell the truth, to use other people library... I like to make my own graphic library and my sound library, as well my engines. The only thing I usually use from other programmers is a DOS Extender.

: I've experienced OpenGL a few times, and I liked it. I only don't use it because I like to make my own stuff. If you use OpenGL for graphics, surely you will not have a sound engine ready for you. You must make one, or use one ready in the net.

: This can bring a few troubles, because you must make the two compatible with each other. The sound cannot stop the graphics, and it must not stop the music. That's why I prefer making my own stuff. It gives you much more versatility, it's royalty free and less bugs.

: I hope this helps...

: LordAsm