Is writing a computer game just the same as writing a game on somet...

i'm just wondering

Comments

• No, Nintendo games were written in hard-coded assembly made for their console machines. Those machines have special hardware-based game functions that let the game do things like scrolling, sprites, etc. without having to program anything.

You can make games on the computer just like the Nintendo games but you'll have to make your own scrolling engine, graphics, etc. and it is usually easier to do.

-Xotor-

• : No, Nintendo games were written in hard-coded assembly made for their console machines.

No they are not (anymore). Modern N64 games are most often written in C on a P.C. linked to a N64 through a cable through a special plug-in card. The C is ofcourse compiled to the appropriate machine instructions, but heck, that is through for every language ;-)

I have friends developing for the playstation using the same technique (although they use a modified action replay cartridge, or some other, similar dirty trick).

Just felt the need to correct you there, Xotor. Not even gameboy-titles are directly written in assembler anymore afaik.

Greetz,

The Watcher^TUHB

• : i'm just wondering

well actually the low level functions

are mostly already built into the hardware

of course depending on the console, but

that is one of the many reasons why games

created on let's say the N64 which I like a lot =)

are "relativly" very small in size.

I mean big parts of the game engine already exists

within the hardware.

So the cartridge games will have stored the

instructions to control the hardware in a correct

way to make a game, and of course all the picture

data, and the text, (story), sound etc, etc.

Please correct me if I'm wrong =)

• : No, Nintendo games were written in hard-coded assembly made for their console machines. Those machines have special hardware-based game functions that let the game do things like scrolling, sprites, etc. without having to program anything.

: You can make games on the computer just like the Nintendo games but you'll have to make your own scrolling engine, graphics, etc. and it is usually easier to do.

: -Xotor-

: