Can I link or store big data files to my exe?

I have only written .com files and used a bin2db program when including small data files into my programs.
But now I'm doing a .exe for dos which loads some pictures for mode13h but I thought it would be nice to have them embedded in the main program instead of loading or converting them to db's...
Is this possible? Please help! :-))
(By the way are there still people doing demos and intros for dos, or will I be mocked and laughed at? ;-)

Comments

• : I have only written .com files and used a bin2db program when including small data files into my programs.
    : But now I'm doing a .exe for dos which loads some pictures for mode13h but I thought it would be nice to have them embedded in the main program instead of loading or converting them to db's...
    : Is this possible? Please help! :-))
    : (By the way are there still people doing demos and intros for dos, or will I be mocked and laughed at? ;-)
    :

Yep, I just wrote a game for DOS (or DOS box on Win32) - pure TASM! On your question - even if you manage to 'stick' large data files into EXE file - it is not worth it, because when this EXE file loaded into memory these big files will just take place and you can't allocate more memory for your application by Func. 48H --> INT 21H, so you will limit your app. pretty much... You should just load these bitmaps and display them from a hard drive - it will not be visible slower then if they are stored in memory. The hard drives these days can 'juggle' megabytes in a blink of an eye! Just use large buffers to read these files.

Cheers!

• : : I have only written .com files and used a bin2db program when including small data files into my programs.
    : : But now I'm doing a .exe for dos which loads some pictures for mode13h but I thought it would be nice to have them embedded in the main program instead of loading or converting them to db's...
    : : Is this possible? Please help! :-))
    : : (By the way are there still people doing demos and intros for dos, or will I be mocked and laughed at? ;-)
    : :
    :
    : Yep, I just wrote a game for DOS (or DOS box on Win32) - pure TASM! On your question - even if you manage to 'stick' large data files into EXE file - it is not worth it, because when this EXE file loaded into memory these big files will just take place and you can't allocate more memory for your application by Func. 48H --> INT 21H, so you will limit your app. pretty much... You should just load these bitmaps and display them from a hard drive - it will not be visible slower then if they are stored in memory. The hard drives these days can 'juggle' megabytes in a blink of an eye! Just use large buffers to read these files.
    :
    : Cheers!
    :
    :
    I see! I didn't realize this would block memory allocation.
    That saves me some trouble. Thanks for help mate :-)
    Is there any place/community on the net where people release their own stuff like your game, would be fun to see (and have some place to upload if I would eventually make a game or something?)

• I hear you....

If you click on a link to somebody profile when you looking at one of messages of theirs - you can visit the web site of this person - but not all the time... I will post a game on my site soon... By the way there is an Assembly IDE on my site and I need some BETA-testing - you welcome to try it if you want - give me some feedback.

• : I hear you....
    :
    : If you click on a link to somebody profile when you looking at one of messages of theirs - you can visit the web site of this person - but not all the time... I will post a game on my site soon... By the way there is an Assembly IDE on my site and I need some BETA-testing - you welcome to try it if you want - give me some feedback.
    :
    :
    Cool! I will check it out for sure. :-)
  • hi,

sure there are people who code for dos. me for example :)

if u want to release your stuff, check
    out some demo scene sites.

www.256b.com
    www.pouet.net

www.bytegeiz.de
    :)
  • : hi,
    :
    : sure there are people who code for dos. me for example :)
    :
    : if u want to release your stuff, check
    : out some demo scene sites.
    :
    : www.256b.com
    : www.pouet.net
    :
    :
    : www.bytegeiz.de
    : :)
    :

Thanx MR.
    Those 256bytes intros are awesome! Inspiring! :-)
    See you around

• : I have only written .com files and used a bin2db program when including small data files into my programs.
    : But now I'm doing a .exe for dos which loads some pictures for mode13h but I thought it would be nice to have them embedded in the main program instead of loading or converting them to db's...
    : Is this possible? Please help! :-))
    : (By the way are there still people doing demos and intros for dos, or will I be mocked and laughed at? ;-)
    :
    [blue]Hi Brewski,

You mentioned 'Demos' in your post.
    I'm a big demo lover, straight up !
    Especially the onces I've seen so far that were made as an ode to machines like Amiga, Atari, MSX, Sony HITBIT, Spectrum etc. that once ruled the scene, Amiga at front.
    These machines really kicked ass back in the days.

I have a few old demos that once were made on the Amiga and reprogrammed on the PC.
    I think these demos are too big to upload to this site but I will try it for you soon.

As for your other requests, I think AsmGuru62 already has put you on the right track.
    I'm at office now, so I'll end this post here.
    Bye for now !

[size=2][b]>> Basya Lanti <<[size=3][/b]

• : : I have only written .com files and used a bin2db program when including small data files into my programs.
    : : But now I'm doing a .exe for dos which loads some pictures for mode13h but I thought it would be nice to have them embedded in the main program instead of loading or converting them to db's...
    : : Is this possible? Please help! :-))
    : : (By the way are there still people doing demos and intros for dos, or will I be mocked and laughed at? ;-)
    : :
    : [blue]Hi Brewski,
    :
    : You mentioned 'Demos' in your post.
    : I'm a big demo lover, straight up !
    : Especially the onces I've seen so far that were made as an ode to machines like Amiga, Atari, MSX, Sony HITBIT, Spectrum etc. that once ruled the scene, Amiga at front.
    : These machines really kicked ass back in the days.
    :
    : I have a few old demos that once were made on the Amiga and reprogrammed on the PC.
    : I think these demos are too big to upload to this site but I will try it for you soon.
    :
    : As for your other requests, I think AsmGuru62 already has put you on the right track.
    : I'm at office now, so I'll end this post here.
    : Bye for now !
    :
    : [size=2][b]>> Basya Lanti <<[size=3][/b]
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I eagerly await those demos ;-) the eighties ruled! - I still use my old commodore64 occasionaly!