Is this a good idea?

I am considering constructing a VB program that will help me with my C++ game programming.

One of the tools in it will be a class builder, where you insert the Characters information and it outputs the code for a class either to a text box or a text file.

This was just a thought that was going through my head on the drive home yesterday. Does anyone thing that this would be a cool idea, and/or feasible(sp)?

Comments

• : I am considering constructing a VB program that will help me with my C++ game programming.
    :
    : One of the tools in it will be a class builder, where you insert the Characters information and it outputs the code for a class either to a text box or a text file.
    :
    : This was just a thought that was going through my head on the drive home yesterday. Does anyone thing that this would be a cool idea, and/or feasible(sp)?
    :

im guessing, from the lack of responses, this is a bad idea

• I dont think that it is a bad idea, but just not a really useful tool. YOu are going to have to design the class, and deside what member functions, variables it has. Then you are going to have to type all these into your tool, so in short all you are saving is typing the opening { and closing }, and the copy and paste would make up for this.
    Although there is nothing wrong with the tool, it would be just as easy and convenient to work without it, which sort of goes against the point in having a tool.

The Giant
    Member of the Stupid Coders
    http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

• Well I plan on it doing more than the {}. See, Im working on the game with many people who dont know C++ or programming for that matter.

I feel if I made a class builder, there would be boxes such as "Player Name, Player Race, Player HP, Player MP, Weapon, etc." And all my teamates would have to do is type in the values. The program will then create all the methods and give them variable names respectably. Does this make any sense? I mean thats not all I will have in the tool. There will be level editors and such...

colin

: I dont think that it is a bad idea, but just not a really useful tool. YOu are going to have to design the class, and deside what member functions, variables it has. Then you are going to have to type all these into your tool, so in short all you are saving is typing the opening { and closing }, and the copy and paste would make up for this.
    : Although there is nothing wrong with the tool, it would be just as easy and convenient to work without it, which sort of goes against the point in having a tool.
    :
    :
    : The Giant
    : Member of the Stupid Coders
    : http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net
    :
    : "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    :
    :

• Sure level editors etc... are a good idea, cause editing txt ot binary files manually can be a head wreck. I still dont understand the purpose of the class tool. If the team mates don't know C++, let the learn, they are going to have to do it sometime anyway.

If you think that it is a good tool, then for you it is a good tool. Go ahead and make it. I would like to see a prototype so I can be proved wrong and see the actual advantage of the tool.

The Giant
    Member of the Stupid Coders
    http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

• Good Idea, I'll make a prototype and show you.

Actually my team mates dont wanna learn C++. For instance, my artist gets his art done so fast (or puts it off so long) that he wants to help me design levels and design characters.

Well, I'll start on it and If I feel im wasting my time I'll stop. If not, I'll show you...

Actually the only REAL reason I'm doing it is because Im a fairly new programmer, and I just wanna see if I CAN do it, whether it helps or not. Just for EXP, ya know?

Thanks

Colin

: Sure level editors etc... are a good idea, cause editing txt ot binary files manually can be a head wreck. I still dont understand the purpose of the class tool. If the team mates don't know C++, let the learn, they are going to have to do it sometime anyway.
    :
    : If you think that it is a good tool, then for you it is a good tool. Go ahead and make it. I would like to see a prototype so I can be proved wrong and see the actual advantage of the tool.
    :
    :
    : The Giant
    : Member of the Stupid Coders
    : http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net
    :
    : "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    :
    :

• For EXP, you should write whatever you can imagine, even a dishwasher programm heh. So write it, but i too think that it's not really usefull. If your team mates don't want to code, forget it, this tool won't help'em.
  • : For EXP, you should write whatever you can imagine, even a dishwasher programm heh. So write it, but i too think that it's not really usefull. If your team mates don't want to code, forget it, this tool won't help'em.
    :

Hmm. Well I just want to offer them a way to help where they can just type in information about a character, or a town, and then give me their output log. I dont know, we'll see how it goes.