Hi, new here, need some help, thanks

I am quite confused about how to do this,i tried tables, and am going round and round without any breakthru. if someone can help me, i'll be grateful, thanks.

What i want to do is:

on the same line, i want to add a link and some text, both of which are unrelated.
left hand side beginning is a link "contact" and in the center of the total line are the words "use references given".

The browser must calculate and include the space taken up by the word "contact" for the purpose of centering the text. in other words, ignore existence of the link when centering the text). of course, it should be general enough to apply to any size monitor

thanks,
al

Comments

• Hi Al.
    Try the following:

[code]
    contact
    use preferences given
    contact
    [/code]

I think that will do it.
    It does on IE5.5

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br

: I am quite confused about how to do this,i tried tables, and am going round and round without any breakthru. if someone can help me, i'll be grateful, thanks.
    :
    : What i want to do is:
    :
    : on the same line, i want to add a link and some text, both of which are unrelated.
    : left hand side beginning is a link "contact" and in the center of the total line are the words "use references given".
    :
    : The browser must calculate and include the space taken up by the word "contact" for the purpose of centering the text. in other words, ignore existence of the link when centering the text). of course, it should be general enough to apply to any size monitor
    :
    : thanks,
    : al
    :
    :

• Hi Leonardo,

it works just like magic on IE!! thanks a million, bless u.
    when i tried it on NetS, contact link gets repeated twice though. any way u know around it? thanks again.
    Al
    : Hi Al.
    : Try the following:
    :
    : [code]
    :
    :
    : : : : :
    contact
    use preferences given
    contact
    : [/code]
    :
    : I think that will do it.
    : It does on IE5.5
    :
    : -- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --
    :
    : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    :
    :
    : : I am quite confused about how to do this,i tried tables, and am going round and round without any breakthru. if someone can help me, i'll be grateful, thanks.
    : :
    : : What i want to do is:
    : : on the same line, i want to add a link and some text, both of which are unrelated.
    : : left hand side beginning is a link "contact" and in the center of the total line are the words "use references given".
    : : The browser must calculate and include the space taken up by the word "contact" for the purpose of centering the text. in other words, ignore existence of the link when centering the text). of course, it should be general enough to apply to any size monitor
    : : thanks,
    : : al
    :
    :

• Try it like this:
    [code]
    contact use preferences given & n b s p ;
    [/code]

play around a bit with the width, just make sure left and right are the same and the total number is 100.
    btw, the "& n b s p ;" is html-special char for a space, otherwise your table would look screwy if you showed borders.
    Remove the spaces offcourse, but I needed to write it like this or the messageboard wouldn't show it
  • Good solution Idaze proposed.

BTW, Idaze: I don't think messageboard will transform a
    "& n b s p" into " " if inside the CODE tags (let's see...):

[code]

[/code]

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br
  • You were right, it did transformed it...
  • hi idaze,

yes, i tried it, works with both IE and NS, thank u so much. sometimes i think complex stuff
    require simple manipulation and then u feel silly. experience i guess...
    thanks to both of u, leonardo and you
    al

: Try it like this:
    : [code]
    :
    :
    :
    : : : : :
    contactuse preferences given& n b s p ;
    :
    : [/code]
    :
    : play around a bit with the width, just make sure left and right are the same and the total number is 100.
    : btw, the "& n b s p ;" is html-special char for a space, otherwise your table would look screwy if you showed borders.
    : Remove the spaces offcourse, but I needed to write it like this or the messageboard wouldn't show it
    :