problem with link colors

hi,

I feel quite embarrassed to ask this but pls help me if u dont
mind, thanks.
these r the instructions given but it doesnt work properly.

In NS, all the links are white in color as required, but they
remain white regardless of whether active or visited links.
How can i rectify it?
In IE, the links are all maroon color (vlink="#993333")
how to make the link appear white and turn orange when active?
alink="#ff6666" and become maroon after visiting?
how to rectify it?

i put text decoration none becos i didnt want an underline for
the link.

I am so sorry to trouble like this.

thanks
al

Comments

• Use this:

Doctor

• Hi Doctor,

thanks, i tried it. but i am still having the same problem, i dont know what to do

al

Use this:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Doctor
    :
    :
    :

• I’m sorry, that was very quick answer so I made a mistake. Use this:

test link1

test link2

Look at the styles: I’ve replaced "." after "a" with ":"

Good luck,
    Doctor.

• thanks, i tried it again, the hoover effect is cool but doesnt seem to workin nS.i am sorry but i still have a problem with it.
    problem:
    in NS 4.x: the link is white, briefly turns orange when u click on it, and remains orange as long as u r on that page (active), BUT does NOT become maroon after visited. when u bring up the page again, link remains white.
    In IE 5.5: link is white first, briefly turns orange when u click on it, and remains orange as long as u r on that page (active), becomes maroon after visited. BUTwhen u bring up the page again, link remains MAROON and not white which is what i want
    do u think something can be done?thanks
    al

: I’m sorry, that was very quick answer so I made a mistake. Use this:
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : test link1
    : test link2
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : Look at the styles: I’ve replaced "." after "a" with ":"
    :
    : Good luck,
    : Doctor.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• Ok, that is what I can say about that:
    1. Netscape does not support a:hover so hover will never work. I will check if it supports a:visited and let you know.
    2. You better forget about a:active (and alink="") at all. It doesn’t work good in both browsers.

Doctor.

• Well I'd let the a:link be coz the most users use IE5.5 or higher so this is suported.
    what I'd never use are lick properties in the body tag not only couse it is bad programming unreadable but also cause it is deprecates by W3C!

: Ok, that is what I can say about that:
    : 1. Netscape does not support a:hover so hover will never work. I will check if it supports a:visited and let you know.
    : 2. You better forget about a:active (and alink="") at all. It doesn’t work good in both browsers.
    :
    :
    :
    :

Firestorm
    blue_surfer2000@yahoo.de
    ;-)

• Man, what do i do then if i want link ffffff, active link"", visited link "" that works the way it is supposed to in both browsers???
    al

: Ok, that is what I can say about that:
    : 1. Netscape does not support a:hover so hover will never work. I will check if it supports a:visited and let you know.
    : 2. You better forget about a:active (and alink="") at all. It doesn’t work good in both browsers.
    :
    :
    :
    :

• [code]problem:
    in NS 4.x: the link is white, briefly turns orange when u click
    on it, and remains orange as long as u r on that page (active)
    BUT does NOT become maroon after visited. when u bring up the
    page again, link remains white.[/code]
    [blue]Netscape sucks, especially the old versions that don't support a lot of stuff, the newer one isn't any better.[/blue]

[code]In IE 5.5: link is white first, briefly turns orange when
    u click on it, and remains orange as long as u r on that page
    (active), becomes maroon after visited. BUTwhen u bring up the
    page again, link remains MAROON and not white which is what i
    want[/code]
    [blue]It remains maroon because the link is VISITED. If you want it to stay white make visited links white too.[/blue]
  • well everybody, thank u very much for trying to help me. u r right, i will keep both link and visited link as
    white and active as orange and forget about this for now!

thanks again,
    al

: [code]problem:
    : in NS 4.x: the link is white, briefly turns orange when u click
    : on it, and remains orange as long as u r on that page (active)
    : BUT does NOT become maroon after visited. when u bring up the
    : page again, link remains white.[/code]
    : [blue]Netscape sucks, especially the old versions that don't support a lot of stuff, the newer one isn't any better.[/blue]
    :
    : [code]In IE 5.5: link is white first, briefly turns orange when
    : u click on it, and remains orange as long as u r on that page
    : (active), becomes maroon after visited. BUTwhen u bring up the
    : page again, link remains MAROON and not white which is what i
    : want[/code]
    : [blue]It remains maroon because the link is VISITED. If you want it to stay white make visited links white too.[/blue]
    :

• Hey Als, let me see if I've got it:

You want the links that have been visited to be MAROON, though you want to "reset" the visited links every time the page gets a refresh, so all links will be considered not visited (so they would be white again).

Is that it?
    I need to first understand what you want, then try to help...

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br
  • that's right!
    i want the link to be white originally, turn orange when active and maroon when visited and back to white when the viewer moves on to another page/clicks some other link and moves on. does it make sense that i should do something like this?
    most importantly, i want it to work this way in both browsers in the same way.
    al

: Hey Als, let me see if I've got it:
    :
    : You want the links that have been visited to be MAROON, though you want to "reset" the visited links every time the page gets a refresh, so all links will be considered not visited (so they would be white again).
    :
    : Is that it?
    : I need to first understand what you want, then try to help...
    :
    : -- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --
    :
    : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    :

• Well, that doesn't make very much sense, unless you're using frames. If you're not, WHEN will a link be marron, if you want to reset the visited links every time page is loaded ???

LINK IS WHITE
    I click the link
    LINK IS RED, THEN ORANGE
    a new page is loaded
    I hit the back button
    the first page reloads
    LINK IS WHITE AGAIN

I see no sense... The default is that onve you visit a link, it will remain visited (maroon, in your case), no matters if you reload the page. That way the marron links would appear some when. But what you're suggesting... The links would never be maroon !

Did I get what you want wrong ?
    Are you working with frames, or the links are all pop-ups ?

-- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --

secret_doom@hotmail.com
    www.batch.hpg.com.br

: that's right!
    : i want the link to be white originally, turn orange when active and maroon when visited and back to white when the viewer moves on to another page/clicks some other link and moves on. does it make sense that i should do something like this?
    : most importantly, i want it to work this way in both browsers in the same way.
    : al

• i am sorry, what u said made me think and reframe my request.

well, link is white in the beginning.

then when u click a link, it becomes active and therfore orange.

when u click another link, the orange link turns maroon as it now becomes visited.

now when u close the browser and after some time u access that page containing all the links, now the links should be reset back to white as it is a fresh page.

in IE 5.5 it still remains maroon and does not go back to white
    so i want it to go back to white.

in NS4.7 links are white,become orange when active, do not turn maroon when visited.but when u close the browser and bring up the page containing links, it is reset back to white.
    so i want it be maroon when visited.

al

: Well, that doesn't make very much sense, unless you're using frames. If you're not, WHEN will a link be marron, if you want to reset the visited links every time page is loaded ???
    :
    : LINK IS WHITE
    : I click the link
    : LINK IS RED, THEN ORANGE
    : a new page is loaded
    : I hit the back button
    : the first page reloads
    : LINK IS WHITE AGAIN
    :
    : I see no sense... The default is that onve you visit a link, it will remain visited (maroon, in your case), no matters if you reload the page. That way the marron links would appear some when. But what you're suggesting... The links would never be maroon !
    :
    : Did I get what you want wrong ?
    : Are you working with frames, or the links are all pop-ups ?
    :
    : -- Secret_Doom - Leonardo Pignataro --
    :
    : secret_doom@hotmail.com
    : www.batch.hpg.com.br
    :
    : : that's right!
    : : i want the link to be white originally, turn orange when active and maroon when visited and back to white when the viewer moves on to another page/clicks some other link and moves on. does it make sense that i should do something like this?
    : : most importantly, i want it to work this way in both browsers in the same way.
    : : al
    :
    :

• Als now slow down and use your head!
    What you told about IE in your last thread is right and absolutely logical!

And please forget about NN!!!!!

Now once visited a link the site which the link stands for is downloaded into the folder Temporary Internet Files.

If you want to be the link white again you have to delete the files in this folder so your computer doesn't know this page!

Or you have to leave out the maron colour and make visited links also white.

That's all and there is nothing more about that!
    Firestorm
    blue_surfer2000@yahoo.de
    ;-)

• ok, ok, easy now.....
    thanks for the explanation
    i am just a beginner so for me everything seems complicated, need a lot of practice!
    als

: Als now slow down and use your head!
    : What you told about IE in your last thread is right and absolutely logical!
    :
    : And please forget about NN!!!!!
    :
    : Now once visited a link the site which the link stands for is downloaded into the folder Temporary Internet Files.
    :
    : If you want to be the link white again you have to delete the files in this folder so your computer doesn't know this page!
    :
    : Or you have to leave out the maron colour and make visited links also white.
    :
    : That's all and there is nothing more about that!
    : Firestorm
    : blue_surfer2000@yahoo.de
    : ;-)
    :
    :