X BOX

Is the X Box written in DirectX? What language is it written? Can anyone give me an idea of what's involved?

~Andrew Clark

Comments

• : Is the X Box written in DirectX? What language is it written? Can anyone give me an idea of what's involved?
    :
    : ~Andrew Clark
    :
    :
    The X Box is not data, and DirectX is not a language, location or state. So, that's quite a meaningless question.
  • I know the X Box is not data and I know that DirectX is not a language. The question:

"Is the X Box written in DirectX?"

Means: Are games for the X Box written with the DirectX API?

Most people don't get as confused about the question as you do. With some common sense, it is very easy to determine what I am trying to ask.

~Andrew Clark
  • : I know the X Box is not data and I know that DirectX is not a language. The question:
    :
    : "Is the X Box written in DirectX?"
    :
    : Means: Are games for the X Box written with the DirectX API?
    :
    : Most people don't get as confused about the question as you do. With some common sense, it is very easy to determine what I am trying to ask.
    :
    :
    So it is ME then? Please explain why it should be so. With some common sense, it is perfectly possible to form coherent sentences which everyone can understand. And you don't write games with the DirectX API. You write games in an IDE or in Notepad. DirectX provides Windows-based applications with high-performance, real-time access to available hardware on current and future computer systems.
  • Yes it is you. I understand that you use an IDE to write a game, but you also "write" it with an API. When I ask "Do you write games with DirectX", this is translated for you into the following sentance:

"Are games for the X Box logically constructed and graphically enhanced through functional calls found within the DirectX API?"

or

"Is it required to know the DirectX API to develop a game for the X Box?"

I think that through our joyful conversations we have come to the conclusion that:

1. X Box games are written in an IDE or Notepad
    2. The game code uses the DirectX API
    3. Be careful about the questions you ask on this board

~Andrew Clark
  • Calm down you pair :)

If you know dx8 well then you'll be comfortable programming xbox. If you can get the hang of vertex shaders thats another advantage.

Merry christmas eh :)

Wudan
  • : Is the X Box written in DirectX? What language is it written? Can anyone give me an idea of what's involved?
    :
    :
    :

its written in

direct x

plus c# with the assembler provided with intel board.
  • : : Is the X Box written in DirectX? What language is it written? Can anyone give me an idea of what's involved?
    : :
    : : ~Andrew Clark
    :
    : its written in
    :
    : direct x
    :
    :
    : plus c# with the assembler provided with intel board.
    :
    I recruit people for XBox development - the majority of games on written in C++

Shotgun

• Would any one here know how or what is needed to aquire an interpreter in order to take a program and translate it into XBOX assembly?.... (please forgive me if I am off in my terminology... I am not looking for reprimand)

if not is there an available or aquirable library specific to the xbox?

- Dan
  • The xbox is essentially a pc. So any pc compiler is capable of producing appropriate code. The problem is getting it into the xbox. The code is built on the pc and transferred to the xbox using expensive dev equipment. I think its likely that microsoft will release some sort of home programming kit for it in the future, Like a keyboard and a basic interpreter maybe.