Quitting Dialog Boxes??

What message does a dialog box receive when the x (top right of a window) is pressed? It isn't WM_DESTROY like it is with the main window.
Learning Win32 Api and some DirectX. How long did it take you to learn DirectX and the Windows API.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USA
    : What message does a dialog box receive when the x (top right of a window) is pressed? It isn't WM_DESTROY like it is with the main window.Learning Win32 Api and some DirectX. How long did it take you to learn DirectX and the Windows API.
    :
    A) It gets WM_CLOSE if I am not mistaken.
    B) It took me about a month to learn the Windoze C++ API.
    C) I spent a month on DX and was able to do NOTHING. I then spent about thirty minutes learning OpenGL and had an OpenGL window up with polygons in it. In another three hours I had a 3D engine without collision detection ro physics, but fully textured and culled!

I recomend learning just the Windoze API before you try any hardware accelerated modes like DX or OpenGL. Then I have to recomend OpenGL over anything DX.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• : What message does a dialog box receive when the x (top right of a window) is pressed? It isn't WM_DESTROY like it is with the main window.Learning Win32 Api and some DirectX. How long did it take you to learn DirectX and the Windows API.
    :
    What is it you trying to do?
    I think that [X] message depends on how dialog box was launched: if it is modal - I think you get the WM_COMMAND with IDCANCEL - in other words it mimics the pressing of CANCEL button, but I am not sure about that... if it is modeless - then you get the WM_CLOSE I think and then you close it as you do with regular windows - call 'DestroyWindow()'.

It requires some research from your side: set a breakpoint in debugger at WM_COMMAND/WM_CLOSE and see what message is it and what parameters are passed by windows when you click on [X].

• : : What message does a dialog box receive when the x (top right of a window) is pressed? It isn't WM_DESTROY like it is with the main window.Learning Win32 Api and some DirectX. How long did it take you to learn DirectX and the Windows API.
    : :
    : What is it you trying to do?
    : I think that [X] message depends on how dialog box was launched: if it is modal - I think you get the WM_COMMAND with IDCANCEL - in other words it mimics the pressing of CANCEL button, but I am not sure about that... if it is modeless - then you get the WM_CLOSE I think and then you close it as you do with regular windows - call 'DestroyWindow()'.
    :
    : It requires some research from your side: set a breakpoint in debugger at WM_COMMAND/WM_CLOSE and see what message is it and what parameters are passed by windows when you click on [X].
    :
    :

Is this what your looking for?

case WM_COMMAND:
    if(wParam == IDCANCEL) EndDialog(hWnd, 0);

Thats what I've been using & it seems to work fine.
    Stoic Joker