Need HELP. Converting .exe to .cpp

My computer crapped out on me. I lost the source code to a program I had been working on, but I have the .exe file on another computer. Is there any way to convert back into my source code?

Comments

• I spent forever... 85 pages of code. No way to turn my .exe into .cpp at all? I understand variable names would most likely be jibberish and it wouldn't be an exact reproduction. This sucks.
  • : I spent forever... 85 pages of code. No way to turn my .exe into .cpp at all? I understand variable names would most likely be jibberish and it wouldn't be an exact reproduction. This sucks.
    :

Well, you could turn it into an assembler source file with a disassembler such as Sourcer, but if the original source was C++, this might not be a good solution.

I know it sucks, but think of it as an object lesson in the value of backups.

• : : I spent forever... 85 pages of code. No way to turn my .exe into .cpp at all? I understand variable names would most likely be jibberish and it wouldn't be an exact reproduction. This sucks.
    : :
    :
    : Well, you could turn it into an assembler source file with a disassembler such as Sourcer, but if the original source was C++, this might not be a good solution.
    :
    : I know it sucks, but think of it as an object lesson in the value of backups.
    :
    :
    :
    There could be a few disassemblers that might do it....but most of those are mainly hacking materials. I know of one named Hiew that worked for my friend...but I don't know what his original language was.
    "[red]Nothing[/red] is absolute." - ME
    "If [red]Nothing[/red] is absolute, wouldn't there be [blue]something[/blue] that is absolute? Think about it." - ME again

• : My computer crapped out on me. I lost the source code to a program I had been working on, but I have the .exe file on another computer. Is there any way to convert back into my source code?
    :
    :-) They make these things. I don't know what they are called, but they're made out of plastic. They are about 3.5 inches wide and are really flat. I hear that you can save all kinds of files on them. If you ever lose files on your computer, you can just pop one of these plastic things in that slot on your computer and you've got the file. These plastic things only cost about $0.30 a piece. At least that's I heard. Do you know where I can get one of these flat plastic things? :-)

• : :-) They make these things. I don't know what they are called, but they're made out of plastic. They are about 3.5 inches wide and are really flat. I hear that you can save all kinds of files on them. If you ever lose files on your computer, you can just pop one of these plastic things in that slot on your computer and you've got the file. These plastic things only cost about $0.30 a piece. At least that's I heard. Do you know where I can get one of these flat plastic things? :-)

Yeah, I use those to backup my computer, too! I have an 80GB drive, so it takes quite a few disks (58,254,223). The girlfriend and I alternate shifts, so the work is pleasant enough. The biggest problem is that at $.10 a pop, it cost me nearly six million dollars just for the disks, and at a minute per disk, we won't finish my backup until 2112. ;(

Hope they have something better than floppies by then. ;)

Cheers,
    Eric
  • : : :-) They make these things. I don't know what they are called, but they're made out of plastic. They are about 3.5 inches wide and are really flat. I hear that you can save all kinds of files on them. If you ever lose files on your computer, you can just pop one of these plastic things in that slot on your computer and you've got the file. These plastic things only cost about $0.30 a piece. At least that's I heard. Do you know where I can get one of these flat plastic things? :-)
    :
    : Yeah, I use those to backup my computer, too! I have an 80GB drive, so it takes quite a few disks (58,254,223). The girlfriend and I alternate shifts, so the work is pleasant enough. The biggest problem is that at $.10 a pop, it cost me nearly six million dollars just for the disks, and at a minute per disk, we won't finish my backup until 2112. ;(
    :
    : Hope they have something better than floppies by then. ;)
    :
    : Cheers,
    : Eric
    :
    Whoa! By 2112 they'd have computers the size of a floppy, that won't crash (ever), and would hold infinite GB (hard drives being obsolete, memory being held in the very fabric of time-space itself). OR civilazation would crash and memory then would be held in tablets of clay with marks poked into it with wedge shaped peices of reed.

I meant that he should back up his source code not his whole damn hard drive.

• : I meant that he should back up his source code not his whole damn hard drive.

I know... but feigning ignorance allowed me to be a smart ass, which I tend to do given the slightest opportunity. ;)

Cheers,
    Eric
  • : : I meant that he should back up his source code not his whole damn hard drive.
    :
    : I know... but feigning ignorance allowed me to be a smart ass, which I tend to do given the slightest opportunity. ;)
    :
    :

Ok ladies no need to be pricks. I did have it backed up on a CD but the CD has errors in it. I can get .doc files off it but not .cpp Weird eh? So no need to make me out to be a fool that doesn't back up. I'd like to see you shmucks write connect 4 program with a 3 stage AI with difficulty settings that would take Deep Blue a month to calculate and also learns from it's mistakes. I was just asking for some advice and you have to be bastards. Baaa. Thx to all you who are decent.
  • : Ok ladies no need to be pricks.

I wasn't making fun of you, but you can damn well bet I'll take every opportunity to do so now.

Have a nice day.
    Eric

• : : Ok ladies no need to be pricks.
    :
    : I wasn't making fun of you, but you can damn well bet I'll take every opportunity to do so now.
    :
    : Have a nice day.
    :
    :
    Eric, I've only been on this message board a short time, but one quickly learns who are the intelligent, knowledgeable, helpful people. Since I consider you to be part of that group, your recent remarks seem uncharacteristic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather you didn't disillusion us.

Jeff

• : : I wasn't making fun of you, but you can damn well bet I'll take every opportunity to do so now.
    :
    : Eric, I've only been on this message board a short time, but one quickly learns who are the intelligent, knowledgeable, helpful people. Since I consider you to be part of that group, your recent remarks seem uncharacteristic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather you didn't disillusion us.

In one paragraph, "dorf" managed to call me a lady, a prick, a shmuck and a bastard. Immature of me to rise to the bait, but as Popeye would say, "I yams what I yams and that's all that I yams". I [italic]do[/italic] have better days. ;)

Cheers,
    Eric

• : : : I wasn't making fun of you, but you can damn well bet I'll take every opportunity to do so now.
    : : Eric, I've only been on this message board a short time, but one quickly learns who are the intelligent, knowledgeable, helpful people. Since I consider you to be part of that group, your recent remarks seem uncharacteristic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather you didn't disillusion us.
    :
    : In one paragraph, "dorf" managed to call me a lady, a prick, a shmuck and a bastard. Immature of me to rise to the bait, but as Popeye would say, "I yams what I yams and that's all that I yams". I [italic]do[/italic] have better days. ;)
    :
    :
    :
    Wow did I say all that? I must be on one of them angry rants :P
  • : : : : I wasn't making fun of you, but you can damn well bet I'll take every opportunity to do so now.
    : : :
    : : : Eric, I've only been on this message board a short time, but one quickly learns who are the intelligent, knowledgeable, helpful people. Since I consider you to be part of that group, your recent remarks seem uncharacteristic. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather you didn't disillusion us.
    : : In one paragraph, "dorf" managed to call me a lady, a prick, a shmuck and a bastard. Immature of me to rise to the bait, but as Popeye would say, "I yams what I yams and that's all that I yams". I [italic]do[/italic] have better days. ;)
    : : Cheers,
    : : Eric
    : Wow did I say all that? I must be on one of them angry rants :P
    :
    Sorry that I made fun of you. I know I have lost files. I learned the hard way too. I was trying to be funny, but didn't succeed. I'd be glad to help, but honestly, I have not seen a good decompiler. I no longer believe in them. There was one C decompiler that I looked at and decompiled a "hello" program with it. The output was 100K was full of goto's and wouldn't even recompile. They are a myth.

• np. Sorry for gettin pissy. Just spent a lot of time working on that. Talked to a professor. Decompilers work ok for converting to fortran or basic machine code, but when you convert from machine to C or C++ it just mangles it. I basically know what I wrote the first time, I should be able to rewrite it... Thx for the help though.