Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Adding assembly codes to compiled Exe Files

chapulcuchapulcu Member Posts: 15
As the title says i wanna learn this subject? Where can i find the related documents?

Comments

• blipblip Member Posts: 756
    You mean debugging it, right? Just find a good debugger and it's manual (you have to know ASM, too).
  • chapulcuchapulcu Member Posts: 15
    No. I don't want to do it manually. The size of my executable file is large then 20 MB. And i need the update it. So there will be some delivery problems. I want to write a new programme. And the new programme will add a DLL call to my old main programme. So it isn't necessary to re-compile and distribute my old programme.

First question, is it possible? And second, if yes, how can i do that?
  • blipblip Member Posts: 756
    Obviously this program is probably for winbloze, so you'll have a whole lot of trouble. First of all, most debuggers are for DOS and don't have a 32-bit assembling mode (because then you couldn't execute the code without having to enter pmode first). You'll also have more problems with an MZ .EXE, even more with a PE .EXE. I don't think it'd be worth the trouble.
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : No. I don't want to do it manually. The size of my executable file is large then 20 MB. And i need the update it. So there will be some delivery problems. I want to write a new programme. And the new programme will add a DLL call to my old main programme. So it isn't necessary to re-compile and distribute my old programme.
    :
    : First question, is it possible? And second, if yes, how can i do that?
    :
    First answer, yes. Second, the easiest way other than manually doing it would probably be to recompile with the changes compare the files with a difference-like utility and make a program to insert/remove the changes.

The proper way to do this is to make a plugin architechture in the first place, or at least modularize your code in DLL's in the first place so you only have to update PARTS of the total application at a time. Of ALL the exe's on my harddrive every single one is above 8 meg is a self-extracting zip/installer program. There are only two applications that are above 4.8 meg.

Since it would require an extremely obscene amount of code to generate a 20 meg executable I'm going to assume you have a bunch of static data in it that you can probably move outside of the exe making it much smaller and easier to deal with.

In other words, make the necessary changes recompile and redistribute so next time you don't have to redistribute a 20 meg file. This time you'd hopefully be redistributing a small bunch of smaller files and you would then be able to update the files individually.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

__ | http://forcoder.org | free video tutorials and ebooks about || Go, C#, JavaScript, Swift, Delphi, Perl, Ruby, MATLAB, R, PL/SQL, Assembly, PHP, Visual Basic .NET, Java, Scratch, Python, Visual Basic, Objective-C, C, C++ Julia, Fortran, Logo, Clojure, ML, Awk, Crystal, FoxPro, Lua, Scheme, COBOL, Erlang, Transact-SQL, Ada, LabVIEW, SAS, VBScript, Prolog, Lisp, Scala, F#, Apex, Dart, Rust, Bash, ABAP, Alice, Hack, D, Kotlin || ___________