Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Using desktop application area space

jammojammo Member Posts: 12
Hello,

I was curous as to how I'd accomplish this in a Delphi v6.0 application.

Lets say that I want to create another thin taskbar that goes across the top of the screen, that displays news feeds, or my own shortcuts to things, etc. I can already set my application to be 'Always on Top', but other windows applications will tend to be 'covered' by it if maximised, or just moved to the same location.

Does anyone know how I can resize the active userspace in windows so that applications, when maximised, do not go under or over my application. It's editing the windows active area space or something, but I'm not quite sure how.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand.
- J

Comments

• GarryPaxtonGarryPaxton Member Posts: 66
    : Hello,
    :
    : I was curous as to how I'd accomplish this in a Delphi v6.0 application.
    :
    : Lets say that I want to create another thin taskbar that goes across the top of the screen, that displays news feeds, or my own shortcuts to things, etc. I can already set my application to be 'Always on Top', but other windows applications will tend to be 'covered' by it if maximised, or just moved to the same location.
    :
    : Does anyone know how I can resize the active userspace in windows so that applications, when maximised, do not go under or over my application. It's editing the windows active area space or something, but I'm not quite sure how.
    :
    : Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand.
    : - J
    :
    I don't know how it is done, but I guess you mean the type of thing that Windows Magnifier does....It reserves a portion of the screen for itself, and all other Windows apps fit into the remaining area....

Does anyone know how Windows Magnifier achieves this effect ?
  • zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : Hello,
    :
    : I was curous as to how I'd accomplish this in a Delphi v6.0 application.
    :
    : Lets say that I want to create another thin taskbar that goes across the top of the screen, that displays news feeds, or my own shortcuts to things, etc. I can already set my application to be 'Always on Top', but other windows applications will tend to be 'covered' by it if maximised, or just moved to the same location.
    :
    : Does anyone know how I can resize the active userspace in windows so that applications, when maximised, do not go under or over my application. It's editing the windows active area space or something, but I'm not quite sure how.
    :
    : Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand.
    : - J
    :
    Creating an taskbar takes a single function: SHAppBarMessage(). It is quite a difficult task to master, so I would suggest that you look it up in a good book. I found a source in the Delphi 4 Developer's Guide by Teixeira & Pacheco. The function itself is found in the windows SDK help files. Perheps you can also find examples on the web.