Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

2d - DirectDraw versus Direct3d?

Hey

I've been doing DirectDraw programming for a while now and find it quite good for it's purpose - create 2d games.

Some people say: go with Direct3d instead.

Can someone please explain the pros and cons with doing 2d game programming using Direct3d instead of DirectDraw?

thanks

Comments

• kc2keokc2keo Member Posts: 110
    : Hey
    :
    : I've been doing DirectDraw programming for a while now and find it quite good for it's purpose - create 2d games.
    :
    : Some people say: go with Direct3d instead.
    :
    : Can someone please explain the pros and cons with doing 2d game programming using Direct3d instead of DirectDraw?
    :
    : thanks
    :

Here are some Links that may be of use:

http://www.metavr.com/technology/directx.html

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/

the second link is the best I think. Gamedev has plenty of articles. If you look on the left nav panel of the page you could See DirectX and then choose your link.

bye,

George

<------------------------------------------>

Reach me at:

AIM IM: kc2keo
    EMAIL: [email protected]

• Zell1388Zell1388 Member Posts: 82
    : Hey
    :
    : I've been doing DirectDraw programming for a while now and find it quite good for it's purpose - create 2d games.
    :
    : Some people say: go with Direct3d instead.
    :
    : Can someone please explain the pros and cons with doing 2d game programming using Direct3d instead of DirectDraw?
    :
    : thanks
    :
    Really, it depends on what kind of game you plan on making. There are also some tricks that you can pull off to fake 3D in a 2D game, but these would not work for full 3D, of course.
    If you're experienced with DirectDraw, go for Direct3D. This could make you a more robust programmer as you would understand more than just DirectDraw :)