Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Which Language

[b][red]This message was edited by Lazer_Burn at 2005-8-25 21:38:19[/red][/b][hr]
[b][red]This message was edited by Lazer_Burn at 2005-8-25 13:20:9[/red][/b][hr]
Hi Everyone,

Um, I'm new and I have just a quick question.

I've experimented with a few languages;
Python, C++, Flash, html, and Qbasic. Im also about to go to a completely computer oriented High-School, where they plan to teach me more about networking, web developement, and C++.

I have learned what I know from some books I have but I haven't gotten all the way through em, so my question is;

For future game developement, which language should be learned first?
and
For future website developing and web crap, which language?

*** What about reading up on DNS (Well I mean I know I sould read about DNS but...) & BIND, and does SAMBA matter? I've got some books I picked up from a friend of mine, just wonderin. ***

Comments

• Griz803Griz803 Member Posts: 100
    Hi, glad to have you on the board.
    It can get confusing with all the choices. If you intend to get a career going later, my answers would be: C++, Java, HTML, PHP and Visual Basic. If you're just having fun exploring right now, pick one or two and get to know them well. After that, in either case, you'll be able to pick up new languages easier just by having something to relate to. I left out Qbasic, not that it is a bad language, just kind of obsolete inside of a GUI. A good alternative language to learn would be C. It is still in use for many things and will probably be for a long time to come yet. Remember, advice is free and darn well worth it! Lots of luck.
  • VilanyeVilanye Member Posts: 684
    Games(3D at least) -Games begin and end in C++. Sure you can learn to make games in Java or another language, and that is great, but isn't that helpful outside of simpler games, you aren'tvery likely going to see a world of warcraft or half life written in java. Learning DirectX and maybe OpenGL are necessary as well. Basic web browser based games(like checkers or simple arcade games) is usually Java or whatever the scripting language flash uses is called.

Web development Of course HTML and XML, not that they are programming languages. Java, PHP, Python, Perl are all good to learn. If you don't want to learn them all I think Java and PHP would be the 2 to concentrate on, that likely will cover most of whatever back-end you are going to do. A little javascript wouldn't hurt either.
  • Lazer_BurnLazer_Burn Member Posts: 6
    : Hi, glad to have you on the board.
    : It can get confusing with all the choices. If you intend to get a career going later, my answers would be: C++, Java, HTML, PHP and Visual Basic. If you're just having fun exploring right now, pick one or two and get to know them well. After that, in either case, you'll be able to pick up new languages easier just by having something to relate to. I left out Qbasic, not that it is a bad language, just kind of obsolete inside of a GUI. A good alternative language to learn would be C. It is still in use for many things and will probably be for a long time to come yet. Remember, advice is free and darn well worth it! Lots of luck.
    :

Hey thanks for the advice, really cleared it up for me.
  • Lazer_BurnLazer_Burn Member Posts: 6
    : Games(3D at least) -Games begin and end in C++. Sure you can learn to make games in Java or another language, and that is great, but isn't that helpful outside of simpler games, you aren'tvery likely going to see a world of warcraft or half life written in java. Learning DirectX and maybe OpenGL are necessary as well. Basic web browser based games(like checkers or simple arcade games) is usually Java or whatever the scripting language flash uses is called.
    :
    : Web development Of course HTML and XML, not that they are programming languages. Java, PHP, Python, Perl are all good to learn. If you don't want to learn them all I think Java and PHP would be the 2 to concentrate on, that likely will cover most of whatever back-end you are going to do. A little javascript wouldn't hurt either.
    :

Hey thanks for replying, its alot clearer now.
  • islam ahmadislam ahmad Member Posts: 47
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Lazer_Burn at 2005-8-25 21:38:19[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Lazer_Burn at 2005-8-25 13:20:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi Everyone,
    :
    : Um, I'm new and I have just a quick question.
    :
    : I've experimented with a few languages;
    : Python, C++, Flash, html, and Qbasic. Im also about to go to a completely computer oriented High-School, where they plan to teach me more about networking, web developement, and C++.
    :
    : I have learned what I know from some books I have but I haven't gotten all the way through em, so my question is;
    :
    : For future game developement, which language should be learned first?
    : and
    : For future website developing and web crap, which language?
    :
    : *** What about reading up on DNS (Well I mean I know I sould read about DNS but...) & BIND, and does SAMBA matter? I've got some books I picked up from a friend of mine, just wonderin. ***
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

YOU CAN LEARN ANY OF THE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES FIRST.
    THERE ARE SOME GOOD BOOKS FOR C/C++
    e.g.
    1.SCHOUM'S OUTLINE SERIES ON C/C++
    2.LET US C/C++
    BY YASVANT KANATKER
    3.THE COMPLETE REFERENCE ON C++
    --------BY HERBERT SCHDELDT