Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

monitor Problem

ArchessArchess Member Posts: 2
Hi there,

I have a problem with my old monitor here. The picture i get is very blurred. What might be the reason for that?
Details : CTX 1565 GM Color Monitor.

Tnx

Arch

Comments

• retrogeekretrogeek Member Posts: 93
    : Hi there,
    :
    : I have a problem with my old monitor here. The picture i get is very blurred. What might be the reason for that?
    : Details : CTX 1565 GM Color Monitor.
    :
    : Tnx
    :
    : Arch
    :

Hi Arch:

The angular size (focus) of the electron beam(s) of the crt is controlled by the relationship of the voltages on its various elements. The last anode inside the tube's neck most affects the focus so it is often controlled by a variable resistor (often labeled "focus"). The voltage is derived from the horizontal drive section, sometimes using a voltage divider resistor off of the fly backtransformer high voltage diode, but sometimes using its own fly back winding or tap and its own rectifier. Your problem could be caused by any one of these elements or others.

A common problem in horizontal output sections, is that heating and cooling of the components in this area cause near-invisible c racks in the circuit board soulder joints. Often, just reheating the joints and adding a little soulder will cure a problem.

As always Mr. Phelps, should you decide to undertake this mission and fail by being electrocuted by the many high-voltages that exist in a crt monitor (even when unplugged), the secratary and retrogeek will disavow(s?) any know ledge of your activities.

rg

ps: sorry for the extra spaces - it's hard to get past this board's "Artificial Intelligence" censor.