Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

chaging a visual basic file to a jpeg

lukey84lukey84 Member Posts: 6
all my jpegs , or a lot of them , turned into VB script files , how can i turn them back ?

Comments

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Member Posts: 937
    : all my jpegs , or a lot of them , turned into VB script files , how can i turn them back ?
    :

Huh?

Do you mean the extensions changed?

In Explorer, select the drive and folder where the files are located. Then go to View/Options. Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known types", and select "Show All Files" Click OK

Go to View/Refresh

Now look at the files. Tell us what you see.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• lukey84lukey84 Member Posts: 6
    no , i had a folder full of jpegs , im not sure what happened exactly , i opened a file in my email , and all the jpegs in the folder turned into VB's . very confusing .
    : no , i had a folder full of jpegs , im not sure what happened exactly , i opened a file in my email , and all the jpegs in the folder turned into VB's . very confusing .
    :

I'm confused!

What do you mean when you say "all the jpegs in the folder turned into VB's"

What do you see that tells you that they are "VBs"?

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

1 - they have the VB icon
    2 - when i go to properties it says VB script file

if you want i can send you a file , through email or what not .

• CplPunisherCplPunisher Member Posts: 295
    :(

I can tell you exactly what happened. I hate to bring you this news but you just opened a virus. It sounds like the same one that hit my ship a couple years ago when they had to extract me to take care of it. It attacks MultiMedia files to include .jpg. All it really does is replaces the file with itself and then names itself to what your file name was. SO what that means is that your pictures are unrecoverable. Alot of marines lost their pictures last float.

Could you do me a really big favor and E-Mail one of those pictures that got infected to [email protected]? it won't come through the Mail system here because I have Norton blocking all VB scripts.

Sorry about your pictures.

oh, i think it does something to my internet explorer too ( this is my first encounter with this kind of file ) it changes my internet explorer home page , and when i try to open I.E. a download window pops up . if that helps

thanks a bunch

• CplPunisherCplPunisher Member Posts: 295
    : This might be the culprit:
    :
    : http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.loveletter.ch.html
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [purple]Melissa[/purple]
    :
    :

:) That's the very one :) Couldn't remember the name of the stupid thing.

:: thanks a bunch --

:( I really am sorry about your pictures, but you might want to check all your multimedia files... gifs mp3s... all of them... it works quick and spreads itself through E-Mail so make sure you tell all of your friends not to open that mail... If you are using outlook/exchange or something like that (Mapi), then you will want to go through all of your address lists, because it sent itself to all of them. It also mutates (if I remember corectly,) so invest in norton antivirus quickly and get the latest definitions :)

: : This might be the culprit:

: :) That's the very one

What a team! :)

[purple]Melissa[/purple]