which environment should i start with?

I am a new student in programming ,studying C++ now (not VIsual C++).
I have heard that if I start practicing coding in Visual C++ it will make me a lazy coder and so I should stick with Borland C++ for a while. Is that true?
By the way with the release of the final version of VS.Net should I quit learning C++ and migrate to a VS.Net language (for example C#) or I must complete my studies in C++ first?
(I know that the theories in C++ and C# are similar ,but my concern is about choosing an environment to improve my coding skills in practically)
thanks
Ali B.

Comments

• Dear Ali

I think that the main thing you should learn is C++ and it's object-oriented features.Because there is an standard for C++, the IDE you select is really of NO importance.In every environment, the C++ language is the same and you have to write the same code and use the same libraries.For example you can use Microfsoft Visual C++'s MFC library in Borland C++.

For now that you are a beginner, I think it's better to confine your work to writing only DOS applications in Turbo C++ 3.0 or Borland C++ 3.0 (or 3.1, if you have access to).

You can later extend your work to MS-Visual C++ or any other compiler you think to be better.But for now, don't use visual C++ because it is somehow 'heavy' for your small projects: It has a long compile-time, linke-time and a big environment that has no special benefit for you.

Finally about C#: I think that writing C# code for a good C++ programmer should be very easy and familar.So don't worrry about that.

Mohsen
    moskarami@yahoo.com

• : Dear Ali
    :
    : I think that the main thing you should learn is C++ and it's object-oriented features.Because there is an standard for C++, the IDE you select is really of NO importance.In every environment, the C++ language is the same and you have to write the same code and use the same libraries.For example you can use Microfsoft Visual C++'s MFC library in Borland C++.
    :
    : For now that you are a beginner, I think it's better to confine your work to writing only DOS applications in Turbo C++ 3.0 or Borland C++ 3.0 (or 3.1, if you have access to).
    :
    : You can later extend your work to MS-Visual C++ or any other compiler you think to be better.But for now, don't use visual C++ because it is somehow 'heavy' for your small projects: It has a long compile-time, linke-time and a big environment that has no special benefit for you.
    :
    : Finally about C#: I think that writing C# code for a good C++ programmer should be very easy and familar.So don't worrry about that.
    :
    : Mohsen
    : moskarami@yahoo.com
    :
    :

Dont depend much on IDE bro especially if your a beginner.