refreshing web page + audible alerts

i am a nurse and i get my shifts of the website of my employer. the shifts are updated continuously and i have to sit there pressing f5 every 10 seconds waiting for suitable shifts to come up before someone else takes them. i have to sit there for many hours sometimes with no work comming up a tall. what i want to do is set up my computer to refresh automatically and give my index finger a holiday. i would also like to beable to get the computer to alert me if a suitable shift came up. on the web site a suitable shift is signafied by the code "saux".this could be done by giving me an audible alert?

i just need pointing in the right direction to enable me to achieve this.

many thanks
onions

Comments

• : i am a nurse and i get my shifts of the website of my employer. the shifts are updated continuously and i have to sit there pressing f5 every 10 seconds waiting for suitable shifts to come up before someone else takes them. i have to sit there for many hours sometimes with no work comming up a tall. what i want to do is set up my computer to refresh automatically and give my index finger a holiday. i would also like to beable to get the computer to alert me if a suitable shift came up. on the web site a suitable shift is signafied by the code "saux".this could be done by giving me an audible alert?
    :
    : i just need pointing in the right direction to enable me to achieve this.
    :
    : many thanks
    : onions
    :
    Seems like you would need to write an app that periodically requests a web page, then scans the returns contents for the "saux" value. It could then do whatever you wanted it to to alert you. I haven't done anything like this, but this looks like it might be a place to start:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/HTML/_core_internet_programming_with_wininet.asp

There are probably other ways to do the same thing with .NET, but maybe this can get you started.....